Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Tender lump in breast 47 years old - terrified  (Read 318 times)

Offline kittygrrll

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Tender lump in breast 47 years old - terrified
« on: September 02, 2014, 11:58:49 AM »
I have been browsing this forum for a while, and know that there are a lot of folks who can relate to what I'm going through. I have had Health Anxiety as long as I can remember, even going back to my childhood.  My main focus has been fear of cancer.

I do take Zoloft, which helps "somewhat". For a time, my HA got better when I had my children.  I guess I had so much more to worry about than myself.  They are now 13 and 11.

A couple of months ago, I found a lumpy, tender area in my right breast.  The lump since then, the lump will decrease in size after my period and become not painful.  After ovulation, it gets bigger and hurts.  It was time for my annual checkup and I put it off, but have it scheduled for this Friday.

I have never had a mammogram either just normal breast checks each year.

I am petrified of going to the doctor.  I'm driving my husband nuts I know, although he is very supportive. 

I'm just so very, very scared. I would like to curl up in a ball and not move.  I've relentlessly googled my symptoms. 

Any words of wisdom are appreciated.  I am literally terrified and feel like such a big wimp. I'm a 47 year old mother and wife acting like this and I should know better.  I have two kids counting on me to be strong - I just don't know how.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Trying to stop this cycle
    • Poke This Member
Re: Tender lump in breast 47 years old - terrified
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 01:00:36 PM »
Honestly I'm not entirely sure and it is always a good idea to get lumps in the breast checked out but it sounds like a fibroadenoma to me. For some girls, they tend to fluctuate in size around ovulation and go up and down. Mine is not usually tender except around my period.
The vast majority of lumps are benign. How does it feel? Fibroadenomas tend to be rubbery and move around a bit.

Also, its usually good when a lump is painful, that's what a few surgeons and doctors of mine have told me. Like I said, its a good idea to just get it checked out. Usually a doctor can tell if it is a fibroadenoma by feeling it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MysteryCat

• Mood: Indescribable
    Indescribable
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 01:04:28 PM »
I have had fears of breast cancer too. But I know that breast lumps that decrease and increase in size over the course of your cycle are not typically malignant. The bad ones also do not usually hurt. Can you move it around a little bit? It's a good thing if you can. It's also a good thing if it isn't super hard like a carrot slice. Having said that, go in to see your doctor if you are worried about it. Hugs!!
Bookmark and Share
You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one.

Offline kittygrrll

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 01:56:54 PM »
Thank you Marie and MysteryCat. 

Yes, it is squishy and moveable, kind of an oval shape on the outside of breast.  I appreciate your replies so much. 

As much as I hate for anyone to suffer HA, it's nice to know that other people understand.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 02:26:37 PM »
Awww Kittygrrll, I understand the worry as well.  I'm going through something similar.  One breast is very tender/sore in just one spot, although there are no lumps.  However, as my period gets closer, both breasts get lumpier.  My family doctor said that pain is not a hallmark symptom of breast cancer, but sent me for a diagnostic mammo/ultrasound just to be sure.  That was my first experience with a mammogram, and I was scared to death--not of the test but of what they would find!  It turned out just fine as the radiologist and sonographer couldn't find a thing. 

I have an appointment with my obgyn in a week, so I'll ask about it then.  I'm guessing it's just a hormone thing, but still scary.

My philosophy is:  If my hubby is getting fed up with my worries over something, then it's time to see a doctor :) 

How many months has this been going on for you?  I'd say if it's been two and you notice a pattern, it's probably fine--but best to check with your doctor.  Easier said than done, I know, but as my mom pointed out to me-if there WAS something sinister there, avoiding the doctor isn't going to make it go away :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Trying to stop this cycle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 02:38:55 PM »
If its squishy and movable, it sounds just like a fibroqdenoma to me. Mine protrudes from the skin a tiny bit (as in I can see the bump). It could also be a cyst which again, are benign.
Nothing about your lump sounds malignant to me and if it were to be cancer, its probably be an anomaly because most do not present that way from what I've hears of.
Like I said, just get it checked out and cysts and fibroqdenomas can be felt from touch usually but ultrasounds can see the difference between something malignant and a fibroadenoma for sure. I assume just because of I your age, even if your doc suspects a fibroadenoma, she will probably still send you just for peace of mind. So don't freak out if that happens. Good luck:) I know how scary they can be..but most of the time, are benign.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 03:10:02 PM »
It sounds like a cyst to me. Fibrocystic breasts are very common among women in perimenopause due to hormone fluctuations. Cysts are often tender and range from feeling like a little pea to a big grape, and they tend to deflate when hormone levels are low and reinflate when they're high.

As Marie said, every new breast lump needs to be examined by a doctor, but all signs point to this being benign.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kcg13

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • My mind ... both a blessing AND a curse ...
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 03:13:15 PM »
Yes.  It is good to get it checked, but sounds like a cyst.  Those are soft & get very sore.  Can inc and dec in size.   Although breast lumps should get checked, it doesn't sound like anything bad.
Bookmark and Share
Our thoughts dictate our emotions .... in other words, how you think is what you will feel.

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 04:32:56 PM »
Slangevar hit the nail on the head!

Fibrocystic breast do worsen during menopause (which can last 10 years).  I had my first mammogram in my 30's when I found a huge and very tender lump in one breast.  My ob/gyn had me wait and have my mammogram right after my cycle.  Since menopause, 10 years ago now, I haven't had any lumps and pain.

I'd encourage you to go get a baseline mammogram.  Expect only good news but they'll have something to compare to in the coming years.
Bookmark and Share

Offline kittygrrll

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 10:31:31 AM »
Thank you all so much. My appointment is this Friday at 9. I'm trying not google and just think of good things and all my blessings.

Prayers are appreciated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 10:25:11 PM »
Good for you!!! And yes, stay off google.  It won't do anything but escalate fear and worry :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: