Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: how to deal with the pesky "this is it", feeling?  (Read 132 times)

Offline cdean1

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
how to deal with the pesky "this is it", feeling?
« on: September 01, 2014, 08:17:59 PM »
I've been struggling off and on with health anxiety since January. It comes and goes. Sometimes I get extreme dizziness and other times (like now) I get the dreaded left arm pain in certain areas of my arm. Comes and goes never radiating.
 I've been through the ringer as far as testing and all came back good. Heart and head. But when things get 'bad' my mind still has a tendency to think "this is it." I mean I had a perfect stress echo test and a normal halter monitor with some slightly elevated pulses at times and still my brain is so powerful to think the moment I'm dizzy or I feel a pain it's like it attempts to go into panic mode.
It has gotten A LOT better with getting into the gym and drinking more hot teas. But does anyone have anything else they recommend for helping when it comes to those pesky racing "doom" thoughts??
Bookmark and Share

Offline oregoncoastlady

• Rec's: 17
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: how to deal with the pesky "this is it", feeling?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 08:34:47 PM »
I wish I had a good idea for you. I understand those doom feelings. They are mean and ruthless and make you feel very vulnerable. Exercise is excellent, so you've got that covered. What I try to remember is that my anxiety induced thoughts are causing faulty thinking. Try hard not to take these thoughts too seriously...easier said than done...and know that the feelings will pass. I try to distract myself by playing a game on my tablet or getting caught up in a tv show. Anything to interrupt the bad thoughts.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tsewang

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: how to deal with the pesky "this is it", feeling?
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 09:04:58 PM »
Hey, I've been struggling a lot lately with those doom thoughts too. I have a ton of tools but struggle to put them into practice, but I believe practice is key! When I'm disciplined, I feel the best. Meditation and breathing exercises are very helpful for me, as is reminding myself to be in the moment and that, in the moment, I am not dying or ill. I think a lot of HA is the fear of uncertainty and wanting 100% assurance that I will always bč fine, but none of us will ever get that. So reminding myself that I'm ok right now does help, and I'll deal with the future when I get to it :) I also recommend trying to come up with some alternative thoughts when anxiety pops up. For example, I often think "the drs I've consulted are wrong, there's still a .00001% chance I'm sick!" Or whatever...and I'll say to myself instead--quickly, as soon as I get that feeling--something like, "I trust the medical community/research/dr more than I trust my anxiety," and it helps! As long as I'm persistent ;)
Best of luck to you!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: