Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety/Depression Advice  (Read 128 times)

Offline AnxiousGrr

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety/Depression Advice
« on: September 01, 2014, 10:45:10 AM »
I feel like I'm in the process of spiraling into a nasty depression.  Two week or so now.... I think it was triggered by a lot of stress and anxiety over work.  Then I started to get all kinds of aches and pains and worries... Then it led to a very dark mood.  And now it's all mixed into a nasty vicious cocktail.  When I'm not at work, I just want to stay home and not deal with anything or anybody.  I'm not so interested in anti-depressants.  Any advice on how I can shake myself up?  Get out of this cycle?  Please share.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety/Depression Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 10:50:04 AM »
Depression is sadly really hard to combat on your own.  If you want to avoid drugs, a counselor or psychologist is the route to go. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline rileybug

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 11:26:51 AM »
theres also alot of good health anxiety books out there you may try
Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxiousGrr

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 12:08:19 PM »
I've had some bad episodes in the past (3 years ago was pretty bad).  It took time but I dealt with it without meds.  I don't mind low grade depressions. I just don't don't know how to deal with a combo of HA, stress and a depressive mood all at once.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 01:46:45 PM »
HA may require a visit to the doctor to get an all clear, or you can convince yourself as I do. "Stop that nonsense" I tell myself. Stress can either be avoided or treated with meditation. Am an avid fan of meditation.

Learning CBT, ACT, doing varied exercise, walking and connecting with nature can ease that downward spiral. Getting busy with some activity even just around the house can help. If we have the proclivity to any of these issues you mention, we must have our bag of tricks ready to pounce on the invaders. They look for any opportunity to get a foot into the psyche. Wishing you peace and calm.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxiousGrr

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 01:59:44 PM »
Thanks for the reply tinam7!  I try to do keep busy.  And it does get better when I'm at work.  But this long weekend hasn't helped.  As far as visiting a doctor... well, that can be stressful in itself.  I usually delay the visit until I absolutely must.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 02:36:29 PM »
Oh, I'm with you. Going to the doctor is a hazard to my health because blood pressure shoots up. And I feel as you do about meds. We're on our own and, frankly, that's how I want it.

Sure, Labor Day. No yoga class for me. So I put my music on and did some myself. Some tai chi too. And distracted myself otherwise. Did some cleaning, laundry, with the reward of journaling. Love journaling, part of CBT. I'd suggest the library for books on CBT, but they are closed too. Here there are lots of books winking at me, "Read me, read me......" And posting here is wonderful too.

PS. If you are interested you can go to the Medications and Therapy section and click (at the top) a thread on free workbooks and CBT form. Just a thought.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AnxiousGrr

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 03:04:36 PM »
sometimes i'm not sure whether posting here does more good or damage.  perhaps it's best not to focus on these thoughts at all?  when you post and reply and follow other posts, you end up getting deeper into the disturbing thought pattern.
Bookmark and Share

Online tinam7

• Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »
Yes, that can be so. Takes some judgment, maybe experience, knowing when to stay and when to let go.

It can have an interesting positive effect if you come up with suggestions or ideas and post them. Even if there is no reaction to you, the suggestion can rebound to you and be of help to you. For example, tell someone to exercise and you can get motivated to do something yourself. I spoke to you of CBT and am reminded of my worst "Error" in the TEA form (Thought, Error, Analysis) which always creeps back.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: