Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: HIV concerns. May not be appropriate for all..  (Read 248 times)

Offline always-anxious

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
HIV concerns. May not be appropriate for all..
« on: September 01, 2014, 02:44:27 AM »
I was just watching a show, relaxing, when the subject of STDs came up. It suddenly reignited a fear that I had long before. About 5 years ago I kind of had oral sex with someone who may have had an STD. It was brief and he didn't finish. I told my doctor about it, asked if I should be tested, explained what happened, and she said that it seemed unnecessary and that I was fine. But I read that HIV can be in the system for like ten years and I'm a little on edge right now.. It's honestly not something I think about unless it's sort of presented to my mind. I haven't had any of the symptoms but.. I dunno. I can't stop thinking about it.
Bookmark and Share
"When you accept change, let go, and free yourself from fear of the unknown, you will begin to see your life as an exciting adventure."

Offline Paul77

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: HIV concerns. May not be appropriate for all..
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 08:12:14 AM »
So if you didn't see this on TV you would be fine, right?  If I worried about every illness i see on TV i would probably relate to a situation in my life that I could have gotten it, I would make myself crazy.
It's your mind over thinking it creating a false reality. You did the right thing by talking to your doctor about your concerns, now you should trust your doctor and put it behind you.

Instead of thinking your sick, focus on the thought that your fine and healthy.
Bookmark and Share
Don't think you can,  know you can...

Offline rh749747

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 11:26:48 AM »
Hey there. Going through a similar experience... I had weight loss unintentionally then thought about my past encounters and assumed I had HIV (risk was perceived not real, as is yours). I got tested and it was negative but only made it worse as I spent time researching why my results were wrong. What I can tell you is that through all of my research with reading expert forums oral sex carries no risk for transmission as there is no documented cases of this ever happening. You're ok I promise.
Bookmark and Share

Offline tsewang

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:00:15 PM »
Hey, my HA revolves solely around HIV, so I totally know what you're going thru. First,try to avoid googling and believing everything you hear on TV--the media likes using scare tactics and there's lots of misinformation out there. Ultimately, it's best to stick to 1 doc who you trust and take their word for it. If your dr said it's not necessary to test, then it's not.

I have done extensive research on hiv--too much probly--and consulted with many drs throughout the years. I have found that they do not lie or make things up, even though we might not trust them right away, and that their medical opinions are backed by research and education. This might sound obvious but I find it helpful to keep in mind. As a precious poster noted, there have been studies going on for well over 10 years between serodiscordant couples where the only unprotected sex they had was oral and not a single hiv- partner has become positive. For this reason, most of the medical community considers it to be a no risk situation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline vardnas

• Rec's: 95
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 01:51:16 PM »
It's actually not that easy to contract HIV—many other diseases are much easier to get. That being said, I was in a similar situation as you many years ago, and it was a fear that stayed with me, on and off, until I got an HIV test during a bout of health anxiety.

Your doctor is right about the fact that you have little to worry about in that regard, but it's never a bad idea to get checked out for STDs after you've had sex with any new partner. If you didn't have actual intercourse, your chances of having contracted anything are very remote.
Bookmark and Share
In case anyone is still confused:  googling your symptoms will cause you to remain in a state of extreme anxiety. Stepping away from the internet is the first step toward lasting peace.

Offline jjZauis

• Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 02:32:50 PM »
I can relate Always, I've worried about HIV before too.   And like others said, it's very rare to get it from Oral sex.   But you already knew that.  It's very easy and common to get tested though these days so if this is something that you're having difficult letting go of then a test should probably put that specific fear to rest.   Once in awhile I would get that HIV fear in my head from a risky encounter and honestly, getting tested and seeing the results  was the only thing that stopped that fear once and for all.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Raaawr

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 04:18:06 PM »
I was just watching a show, relaxing, when the subject of STDs came up. It suddenly reignited a fear that I had long before. About 5 years ago I kind of had oral sex with someone who may have had an STD. It was brief and he didn't finish. I told my doctor about it, asked if I should be tested, explained what happened, and she said that it seemed unnecessary and that I was fine. But I read that HIV can be in the system for like ten years and I'm a little on edge right now.. It's honestly not something I think about unless it's sort of presented to my mind. I haven't had any of the symptoms but.. I dunno. I can't stop thinking about it.

Id say its highly unlikely. First the person would have had to have HIV in the first place. Then believe it or not it is actually a surprisingly difficult disease to contract for what we hear about it. Im not saying you can just have unprotected sex with everyone but sex with someone with HIV does not 100% mean you will get it.
Bookmark and Share
Since July 23rd 2014 I have had;
Brain Tumor, 5x Heart Attacks, 2x Blood clots in leg, 1 blood clot in Arm, 2x Appendicitis, Pulmonary Embolism, Brain Tumor, Internal Bleeding, Ebola.

Offline always-anxious

• Mood: Calm
    Calm
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 07:31:44 PM »
Thank you all so much. Reading all of these responses definitely relaxed me and I feel much less alone in this fear. I did read that it's terribly rare to get it via oral sex. And I never slept with him. The googling just made me spiral downhill really fast. It's awful how it's so easy to disregard any positives you find googling in favor of all the negatives. I've been working on being positive and keeping myself busy so the negative thoughts quiet. I have this tendency to focus heavily on one health issue for a week or so and then it just sort of fades. Especially when it's brought on by something I saw on TV. I really appreciate the responses, it's really nice to get reassurance and to know that there are people who actually understand.
Bookmark and Share
"When you accept change, let go, and free yourself from fear of the unknown, you will begin to see your life as an exciting adventure."

Offline Raaawr

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 08:15:06 PM »
Thank you all so much. Reading all of these responses definitely relaxed me and I feel much less alone in this fear. I did read that it's terribly rare to get it via oral sex. And I never slept with him. The googling just made me spiral downhill really fast. It's awful how it's so easy to disregard any positives you find googling in favor of all the negatives. I've been working on being positive and keeping myself busy so the negative thoughts quiet. I have this tendency to focus heavily on one health issue for a week or so and then it just sort of fades. Especially when it's brought on by something I saw on TV. I really appreciate the responses, it's really nice to get reassurance and to know that there are people who actually understand.

The only mistake you made was Googling. Do not Google. It wont reassure you because it never does. Your anxiety wants you to Google because you are addicted to feeding your fears and letting them overpower you. Without Googling you will find yourself much more rational.
Bookmark and Share
Since July 23rd 2014 I have had;
Brain Tumor, 5x Heart Attacks, 2x Blood clots in leg, 1 blood clot in Arm, 2x Appendicitis, Pulmonary Embolism, Brain Tumor, Internal Bleeding, Ebola.

Tags: