Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: TETANUS SCARE!!!!! FREAKING OUT!!!!  (Read 236 times)

Offline amyjeannie

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
TETANUS SCARE!!!!! FREAKING OUT!!!!
« on: August 31, 2014, 08:53:06 PM »
Okay so the other day I was cutting potatoes in my school cafeteria and I ended up cutting myself after the knife slipped through a rotten potato. The cut wasn't extremely deep and my boss cleaned it up pretty well and then I had it covered. The nurse told me to keep it covered throughout the weekend. I cut it Wednesday and today is Sunday. I got a tetanus booster back in March and even though I am a hypochondriac I told myself I was fine because of the booster....until today.

My jaw cracked. Like LOUD! You could hear it probably from across the room. I know that is the first sign of tetanus so I'm freaking out. I got hit with a softball last month and ever since then it feels like I have TMJ on the right side of my face. However, it cracked today. It wasn't a normal pop. It was a crack. So I'm freaking out. I also read on some guys testimony of tetanus that it normally happens to people who get immunized, which I obviously did back in March. Freaking out people...freaking out....somebody please help me!!!! My muscles don't ache and my cut appears to be healing but my jaw cracked!!!!!!! I seriously am about to just give up on life. Tetanus might as well come but I still want some hope. Is there any?!?!?
Bookmark and Share
Philippians 4:4-9

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: TETANUS SCARE!!!!! FREAKING OUT!!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 09:31:52 PM »
I don't know much about tetanus, but my understanding is that it's a pretty severe disease and you'd feel really horrible if you had it.  Your jaw wouldn't just make noise; it would be frozen in place. 

Regardless, the booster should hold you for a good amount of time.  Aren't they good for something like 10 years? 

Also, my father in law (he's a doctor) told my gf once that tetanus is caused by animal feces and the like and that rust/metal itself doesn't cause the tetanus.  So unless some really questionable stuff is going on in your kitchen, you can't get tetanus that way ;) 
Bookmark and Share

Offline amyjeannie

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 09:39:37 PM »
It's not the knife that I am worried about. It's what a was cutting- raw potatoes. Dirty, raw potatoes. Actually- dirty, raw, and rotten potatoes! I have no pain in any other part of my body but I'm still freaking out. Thanks for the reply though, it did help calm my nerves a little :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 09:52:03 PM »
Ahh, got it.  Either way though I think you're okay - I don't think you're likely to get it from a raw potato, and the booster was almost definitely still good.  And they call tetanus lockjaw because your muscles seize up and can't be moved; it's pretty distinctive.  TMJ or a lingering injury make sense, though.  If it's bothering you it's worth seeing a doctor for - not because it's something bad that will kill you or make your life worse, but because why live with pain when you don't have to?  But I don't think you need to worry about any of this. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline amyjeannie

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 09:56:06 PM »
I feel like my throat is closing in! I feel like this a lot and I'm all jittery but aren't those symptoms of tetanus???
Bookmark and Share

Offline messysai

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 10:32:21 PM »
I feel like my throat is closing in! I feel like this a lot and I'm all jittery but aren't those symptoms of tetanus???

Also symptoms of anxiety!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 11:02:00 PM »
Get a drink of water.  Are you physically capable of swallowing it?  And I don't mean it feels weird, I mean does the water go down?  If so, you're in the clear :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2014, 07:15:05 AM »
Tetnus starts in the wound area and then travels systemically throughout the body.  The muscles AROUND the wound would be sore and stiff first.
My jaw cracks all the time.  I've even had it go out of place and can't open my mouth all the way!  (Not so much as I go older, but as a kid it was REAL bad), it  just sounds like TMJ.  And now that you are worried you are going to start getting a host of other symptoms that are manufactured in your mind.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2014, 08:26:31 AM »

You had a tetanus booster in March.  Since you are current on this vaccine, why do you think you would have tetanus NOW?  the whole point of having a tetanus shot is to prevent getting the bacteria.   Even if you weren't current on your tetanus shot, you wouldn't get tetanus in the way you describe.

btw--how many people have you met  who have gotten tetanus-ever?  what should that tell you?
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Scye27

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 11:34:47 AM »
Something like this happened to me. I cut myself pretty bad with something that was not clean. I freaked out, my jaw made noise, my throat was tight, and I was shaking like crazy. I was sure I had tetanus. I couldn't remember the last time I had a booster, so that made it even worse. i called the doctor's office and spoke with the nurse. She said that I had a booster back in 2009, so I was good until 2019. I asked about the symptoms and she said if the wound is healing normally with no muscle soreness in the area, and the fact that I'm still speaking to her was a good sign that I did not have tetanus. That was a year ago, and obviously that is what it was. It was my anxiety causing the symptoms. Your injury could easily be the reason. Weather changes can make all sorts of sounds come out. I know this muggy, rainy weather where I live makes every crack louder.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Beth0810

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 11:51:17 AM »
Ok first off.  The series of tetanus jabs you had as a child cover you for LIFE.  The US is one of the ONLY countries that says you have to keep getting "boosters".  In the UK, they don't do them.  So you are covered.  Like, forever. 

Second, tetanus comes from poop.  Not rotten potatoes.  So unless the potatoes were rotten AND covered in horse *****, you are fine. 

Third, did you bleed?  Tetanus can only survive in an anaerobic environment.  Blood carries oxygen.  If you bled, you first flushed out any potential contaminant, and also oxygenated the area, therefore making it an unsuitable environment for tetanus to grow.  Tetanus is usually associated with DEEP puncture wounds.  Why?  Because they don't really bleed.

So to sum upů you are FINE.  you have zero risk of getting tetanus from the wound you described. 

The symptoms you are describing are associated with anxiety.  Stop obsessing.  :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »
Each country has its own protocol for immunizations.   Each person here should take the advice of his/her own doctor regarding whether or not a vaccine is necessary.

Personally, as an American, I will continue getting tetanus boosters and I will feel good about doing so.  I may actually go and get a pertussis vaccine as there is currently an increase of this disease in adults who were fully immunized as children.  AND then passing it onto young babies not yet immunized.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline amyjeannie

Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »
Tetnus starts in the wound area and then travels systemically throughout the body.  The muscles AROUND the wound would be sore and stiff first.
Now that you mention it my thumb and middle finger have been feeling rather strange. The finger I cut is my pointer finger. Oh no! They do feel sore  :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2014, 05:36:07 PM »
you DON'T have tetanus.  You have a cut.  Cuts always feel sore.   keep it clean.  that is all
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2014, 06:37:02 PM »
*facepalm* I'm pretty sure that wasn't what the other poster was trying to get at. 

You can't possibly have tetanus.  Between the immunizations and the fact that you would be the first person ever to get it from a potato, it's just...not what's happening.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: