Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Visible mucus on bowel movements  (Read 352 times)

Offline DaxeUK

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Visible mucus on bowel movements
« on: August 31, 2014, 01:13:13 PM »
Hi - does anything suffer from visible mucus in their BMs? Looks like stringy clear/yellowish stuff on my stools - sorry to be graphic.
I suffer quite badly from HA and of course done the worse thing ever and googled the hell out of it. I understand mucus is normal but shouldn't be visible right?

Last 3 BMs ive had this, don't have IBS that I know off, its not loads ... just looks like 3-4 stringy extra bits of it that look yellow / light brown
Anyone else get this? I wonder if anxiety / stress can effect our stools in this manner as I have been stressed big time -  Many thanks guys
Bookmark and Share

Offline Paul77

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Visible mucus on bowel movements
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 01:27:55 PM »
Yes anxiety and stress can impact your BM!! I have IBS so I can't relate directly  but mucus is common in my case,especially when stressed. You'd need a non-IBSer to chime in.
Bookmark and Share
Don't think you can,  know you can...

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:46:21 PM »
Sounds like IBS to me. If it persists, I would call your physician, to at least ease your mind.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline superapple

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 01:49:08 PM »
I have this and I think i have IBS too
Bookmark and Share
If I don't reply to your post send me a PM with the link to the post or send me the message :)

Offline DaxeUK

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 02:01:36 PM »
Thanks all - a lot people told me its common with IBS but I have no other symptoms so im really sure that I suffer from it. Maybe another cause, at first the impression the mucus gave looked like streaks of blood but it was just the way the water and the mucus distorted it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline lugus15

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 10:38:21 PM »
I do have IBS and pass mucus in stool very frequently.

In January-February I had one of my major HA crisis because of the Mucus and Diarrhea I was constantly passing.  I was certain I had colon cancer, even tho my doctor made me take blood tests and food allergies. It turned out I had a major allergy to diary, and that's why I was having constant Diarrhea. Plus he diagnosed me with IBS caused by anxiety, thus the mucus.  Plus he checked by ultrasound all my organs (except the pancreas cuz he couldn't see it because of too much gas in my stomach) and no evidence of tumors or masses found.

Of course, as always, I left the office not being convinced of his diagnosis. I pushed for a colonoscopy a few weeks after, and it all came back clear. Perfect colon, but spastic (IBS) caused by anxiety.

It's almost certain that what you have is IBS caused by anxiety.

Hope this helps, and trust me I suffered horribly by the doubts you are facing today!

God bless!!!

Bookmark and Share

Offline NytViolet

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 10:46:23 PM »
I've had the same thing; in my case it was related to eating ice cream and being under severe stress.
Bookmark and Share
God does not give us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Online cali4niay

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 12:23:21 AM »
Me 2! I have no idea if I have IBS or not, but man, when I'm stressed...

I bought Gastromycin at Vitaminshoppe and that's helped me a bit.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaxeUK

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 07:34:48 AM »
It's almost certain that what you have is IBS caused by anxiety.

It does sound like that doesnt it, does the stress/anxiety cause excess mucus to be created then? i understand stress effects the bowels directly in terms of frequency and type but is mucus a direct symptom of IBS rather than anxiety it self?

I dont really have any other symptoms other than some extra mucus and some plum coloured bleeding from time to time - if it were IBS id imagine id have other stuff.
I've had a colonoscopy 3-4 months ago which was clear for the bleeding but i have doubts about it, i recall seeing "something" on the monitor that i wish i asked what that was etc - all i recall is a finger like projection, its playing on my mind that maybe the GI doc missed it, i was sedated so i cant remember a great deal but thats all i remember mainly but it took some hours before i processed it and then my HA kicked in. So in my HA messed up mind i am connecting everything and thinking the worse. Dont particularly want another procedure but i fear thats the only thing that will give me some peace.

First time i've seen mucus though and at first looked like streaks of orange. Its horrid when HA sets in, last 4 months ive gone through all sorts and at my wits end!
Would love to have a head to toe scan to check everything :D:D
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 07:50:44 AM »
When my doctor gave me my colonoscopy photos, there is a bump in one picture. It was super zoomed in cause the other zoomed out picture, you couldn't see it. My doctor never mentioned it. This happened to a friend but she went in to have surgery and the surgeon wouldn't remove it cause it was part of her colon. The doctor isn't going to leave something in there or not tell you. I had a polyp removed my first scope, the second scope the "lipoma" we thought I had, was a carcinoid. I get the mucous too. I think it is very common with anxiety. If you had a scope, i wouldn't be worried.
Bookmark and Share

Offline DaxeUK

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 08:55:43 AM »
Thats a relieve with the mucus, good to hear others get it and its normal by product of anxiety - was a shock to see it tbh
I hear what your saying on the scope - i requested a video recording of the procedure after to let me see it was nothing but then changed my mind as my gf convinced me id just worry about everything in it and not understand anything about it - to which i am glad i followed her advise as it could of sent my HA into over drive.

I do recall something i saw and its most likely a bump or a part of my colon, i wish i could just pull this memory out of head but its difficult to accept and move on.
Bookmark and Share

Online Brick5711

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2014, 11:53:48 AM »
Trust me, you don't want to know. I worried about that mp every time I looked at the pictures. I put the pictures away. I know if it was something, my doctor would have told me just as yours would have told you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 12
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2014, 01:11:59 PM »
Constipation can cause mucous.  In fact, mucous is secreted by the colon to help stool move.
Bowel mucus can be disgusting and unpleasant, but itís actually good for your body. Itís not uncommon in fact to see traces of clear, white and yellow mucus in stool. The intestines use this jelly like goo to act as a lubricant, which can make moving things along the digestive tract much smoother. Most oftentimes, bowel mucus is not even visible. But, that doesnít mean itís not there. Certain things like constipation can cause the yellow or white mucus in stool to be more obvious and apparent. After all, if passing stool is problematic and itís becoming backed up, itís likely then that yellow mucus may build up as well, and therefore make it more apparent upon evacuation.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: