Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: obsessed with germs  (Read 139 times)

Offline paratale

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
obsessed with germs
« on: August 31, 2014, 01:59:16 AM »
I just started college and I have to use a communal bathroom, which bothers me on so many levels but I'll narrow it down to just a few. I can't wear my retainer because I'm afraid my hands aren't clean enough to touch it. I'm freaked out about showering. I wear flip flops like everyone else but my feet are still too close to the dirty floor for my comfort, and I currently have a painful callus from walking all over campus for orientation activities, so I'm now worried I'll get an infection on my foot from the shower (even if no skin is actually broken). I also obsessively use bandaids on hangnails and change them like 50 times a day. The other day maintenance came into my room to steam the carpet and put my shower flip flops on my bed and I was completely livid. I had to launder the whole set--sheets, blankets and pillow case.

My floormates throw their caddies in the disgusting cubbies, leave their toothbrushes hanging out, and drape their towels over the shower stalls like it's no problem. I even saw a girl cleaning a retainer in the bathroom. But I just can't loosen up.

If anyone's got any advice for how to be less afraid of the bathroom I'd be grateful. I'm planning on seeing counselling services when they open on Monday, but in the mean time I at least need to feel like my hands are clean enough to put my retainer in my mouth or my teeth are going to start moving.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: obsessed with germs
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 01:40:30 PM »
It may make you feel better to keep things in a container or not in the bathroom and just bring them in when you are ready to actually use them. Your body is stronger than you think, so germs may not necessarily even affect you.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 210
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 02:20:13 PM »
I always keep the disinfectant type wipes in my purse for use in a public restroom.  Perhaps cleaning your hands with them prior to removing your retainer may help you.  As far as wearing shower shoes, that's a good idea, but what about also using your own shower mat inside the shower and hanging it up when you are out of the shower?  Simple Lysol spray goes a long way as well.

I don't know what to say to help you relax a bit about this; germs aren't all that bad and can usually be taken care of with good hand washing and just being away of where you put your toothbrush, retainer, etc.

Bookmark and Share

Offline superapple

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 02:21:27 PM »
like marc said, keep them in a container.

I am a bit like you because i went on a residential trip with my class at school, hygiene was a problem for me i didn't have a number 2 there because i don't like doing it on a public toilet. I usually keep my stuff like toothbrush to myself and take it to the bathroom when i use it.

Your immune system is there to fight of bacteria and germs so i think that you will be fine :)
Bookmark and Share
If I don't reply to your post send me a PM with the link to the post or send me the message :)

Tags: germs mysophobia