Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: The google monster?!  (Read 187 times)

Offline Courtney09011

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
The google monster?!
« on: August 30, 2014, 04:05:59 PM »
So I'm basically wondering how you guys keep from googling all the freaking time? I know I feed my anxiety when I google but it's almost (not really but it feels like it) subconscious!! And in the age of smart phones I can be laying in bed notice a symptom and then reach for my phone to look it up! Which of course google lists the worst possible situation and then I panic!  Would love to here what you guys do!
Bookmark and Share

Online rileybug

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: The google monster?!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 04:36:24 PM »
I never google health stuff-only anxiety zone-les scary
Bookmark and Share

Online marie204430

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Trying to stop this cycle
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 04:39:11 PM »
Sadly, I haven't solved this yet. But I agree with Rileybug. Try plugging in anxietyzone or hypochondria in general if you really have to google (you probably still shouldn't because regardless, it gives us ideas).
For example "heart pain anxietyzone" or "heart pain anxiety". That way, you don't tend to get the dumb websites like webmd that say its cancer or some crap.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 06:02:47 PM »
You know how you feel when you get those scam emails from Nigeria telling you you've inherited millions of dollars? What do you do? What I do is typically delete them and sometimes I'll mess around with them and write back.

Here's an example...  This is a reply I wrote today ;)

To: undisclosed-recipients:;
Subject: Attention Dear.   
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 17:57:32 -0700

Attention Dear.

How are you today? Hope all is well with you and family? You may not understand why this mail came to you. We have been having a meeting for the passed 7 months which ended 2 days ago with the then secretary to the UNITED NATIONS. This email is to all the people that have been scammed in any part of the world, the UNITED NATIONS have agreed to compensate them with the sum of US$6.7 each.

Dear Dear,

I'm just peachy keen today! The family is doing "so so" since Momma took an overdose of Xanax and is in a permanent state of mellow. My brother has been drinking heavily lately and we have to keep him in Depends undergarments for well... you know.... don't want to mess up the nice furniture. Pops has been quiet lately. In fact he hasn't said a word or moved from his easy chair for the last three weeks. He's been reading that same article in People magazine too. He much have the worlds largest bladder as he hasn't even gotten up to pee! God bless him :) Sis finally came back after running away. She brought her girlfriend home to live with us. She say's it's her girlfriend but she looks like a man with boobs to be honest ;/

I hope you're doing well. Sounds like you've had your hands full with all those meetings. Must be a lot of pissed off people too with all that money and scams and such. Speaking of scams. We got tricked into getting some stupid extra services on our cell phones! I don't know why because our phones aren't even smart! They're the older dumb phones and most of the family doesn't even know how to get on line!

Anyway...I digress. We sure could use the $6.7 million dollars. The old Dodge is sounding rather sick and Grandma's teeth need sanding.

I look forward to your further correspondence. Let me know what we need to do next.

~M

So.... I look at Google medical advice much the same way. To assume a diagnosis based on a computer algorithm is like thinking you'll really get $6.7 million dollars.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Online potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 07:48:43 PM »
 :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3: :laugh3:

Too funny, Fish!
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 07:19:14 AM »
I don't really have a trick to not Googling, I just don't.  I do something else or find someone to talk to instead.  Of course I still do Google occasionally, but I try to remember how much I'm going to regret it in a few minutes, and it's usually enough to keep me from doing so. 
Bookmark and Share

Online rileybug

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 09:46:55 AM »
Just block it out of your mind-you did fine before you knew about it.
Bookmark and Share