Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: scared of my temperature.  (Read 133 times)

Offline terri

• Rec's: 0
  • love life
    • Poke This Member
scared of my temperature.
« on: August 30, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
before you laugh, i don't have an obsession with taking my pulse or my blood pressure. i have an obsession with taking my temperature.

for the past 2-3 years, i have taken it at least three times a day. my entire life, i have had a low temperature [around 97.4-97.6] and the past few days, i have taken my temperature and it's been 98.5 STEADILY. yesterday, i stayed inside all day and rested. each hour, i took my temperature and still the same.

i know this may sound silly to some, but i am having a slight anxious feeling because of it. my forehead feels hot to the touch but the rest of my body remains cool to the touch. anyone else have this fear and/or have experienced this? thanks in advance for your help.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Scye27

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: scared of my temperature.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:31:08 AM »
I have this happen too. My temp is usually around 98.6, but oftentimes, it is 99.3, which would be a similar spike to what yours goes up to. No doctor will even consider it an issue until you reach 100. I've asked several myself and they say that anxiety can do it, eating, being in a warm location, etc. I notice my face often feels on fire, but the temp is still under 100. I just have a fan on me and drink cool liquids to cool off, which normally works.
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 11:32:28 AM »
thanks so much for your response. i always figured that because my temperature ran low, a higher temperature [that is considered normal for some] would be considered a fever for me
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 04:03:09 PM »
My average seems to be 98.4 but it's normal for me to get up to about 99.3. 

Best way to get over it?  Stop taking your temperature. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 04:48:34 PM »
Ummm. Thanks. Easier said than done. That should be obvious, seeing as we are in a hypochondriac forum.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 16
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 06:54:11 PM »
thanks so much for your response. i always figured that because my temperature ran low, a higher temperature [that is considered normal for some] would be considered a fever for me

LOL!  I'm the same way!   Mine is almost always 98.3 so when it's 98.6 I'm already thinking, "Oh no, I'm getting sick!"  And heaven help me if it's 99 I start freaking out!  (I too take my temperature a LOT if I feel a little "off" - I'll take it every 3 or 4 minutes!  I know that is ridiculous.  Once I kept running 99 to 99.5 and my husband told me that anxiety can raise your temperature, so I took a Xanax and in about an hour I was 98.2, 98.3 again!

And I also to "the test" - if I take it and it's let's say 99.1...  I will run down the basement, do something and run back up, then I take it again, if it drops down 4 or 5 points then I know it's not a fever, for some reason that works! If it's the same then I really begin to be concerned.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 07:13:49 AM »
I'm not saying it's *easy* but you're in control of your actions.  It's similar to those of us struggling to not Google.  Compulsions are a bitch but they can be overcome.
Bookmark and Share

Offline terri

• love life
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 08:16:05 PM »
thank you so much, sunlover. i was looking for reassurance that i am not alone in how i felt.

mollyfin - i appreciate your responses, but they come off as tough love. i am not a tough love person. i know in order to get over my temperature thing that i need to put the thermometer away. unfortunately, it is easier said than done and i am not ready for that step just yet. i hope you understand. i say that in the nicest way possible. maybe your responses work with some people, because i see you responding the same way to others. but my initial question was whether or not anyone else had the same issue.

sometimes, we just want to know that we're not alone with our "weird" ticks.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: