Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Leukamia??  (Read 218 times)

Offline worriedchris

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Leukamia??
« on: August 30, 2014, 04:17:23 AM »
I haven't been on here for a couple of years, but feeling the HA coming back and would love some help...I am trying really hard not to let it spiral out of control, but I am worried.
My three year old has been complaining of pain for about 6 weeks now. At first, he would wake at night, crying and pointing to his knees /shin (I think but not sure it was both knees then). I took him to the doctor and as it had only happened twice she said to bring him back if it kept going and she'd look further for arthritis. All was ok for a couple of weeks and it started happening again, this time only his left knee. The doc did an xray of his left knee and hip and all was normal. He didn't know what could cause pain in his knee only when his knee is normal on examination and he doesn't have a limp or anything - and then (last week) it only seemed to be happening at night. The last week, he has started complaining on and off about his left armpit, hip, ankle and foot as well, but mainly his knee and all on the left side
I am freaking out and fighting hard not to google obsessively, but I am really scared he has leukamia. Is there something less scary it could be?? Would an xray be normal if that was the reason for his pain? He's always preferred to be carried than walk and now when I am asking him why he is saying it's hurting somewhere like his foot or knee and he doesn't want to walk and I am so scared I have been missing something all along....
Any thoughts would be really appreciated. I am thinking I will take him back to the doc again, but need to try to stay calm in between
Bookmark and Share

Offline worriedchris

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Leukamia??
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 04:59:09 AM »
Now he's pointing to his thigh saying it hurts on the inside. I am freaking out :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 07:48:35 AM »
stop googling at all.

++kids get aches and pains by just growing.

++I don't really see  where you are getting leukemia from here.  I've known three kids who had leukemia.  two presented by not being able to get over a common bacteria or virus in a timely manner.  the other was dx'd through pre-op bloodwork for an unrelated issue.

++my youngest (9 at the time) was having severe joint/muscle pain.  After 3 or 4 days I took her to the dr.  doc ran all kinds of blood tests.  One was for strep.  If strep isn't caught earlier, you can get joint pain.  doc ran bloods checking on inflammation factors.  My daughter's inflammation factors were abnormal. this got us to a rheumy.  From there she was dx'd with Lyme..  I don't know if you live in an area where Lyme is common, but that could be a possibility.   My daughter was treated and she is fine.     maybe your child has some mild arthritis.

++You may not like this idea but I am throwing it out there anyway because kids sometimes are just kids and do silly things......

then there is the chance that your child is simply saying things hurt because it is fun or for attention??? 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 04:08:59 PM »
Like sixpack, my first thought was "If he wants to be carried, he may be saying something hurts just so you'll carry him." 

The pains he IS having are likely to be growing pains.  I had constant ankle pain for the first decade and a half of my life. 

No, though, I don't think leukemia would show up on an x-ray.   But this doesn't sound like that kind of pain, either.  My mom's coworker's son had leukemia that started with horrible nocturnal leg pain, and it was bad enough to freak out someone who is not at all a hypochondriac.  And I'm pretty sure it was both sides.  Mom's since retired but last I heard the boy was doing well.
Bookmark and Share

Offline worriedchris

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 04:59:20 PM »
i really appreciate you taking the time to respond. i am in Australia so lyme disease is pretty much unheard of. my lil man woke up again last night, holding his left hip and grimacing. i asked if he was ok and he said his right knee hurt. really hoping it is just one of those things.  meanwhile that old beastie ha is rearing its head. Following up with the doc on tuesday is more sensible than a trip to emergency???
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 07:28:22 PM »
personally I think growing pains OR a child being silly and/or looking for attention.

Follow up with your child's doctor if you are concerned.  However, I do NOT think this warrants a trip to the ER.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 41
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 07:09:05 AM »
I would really put money on growing pains.  Poor kid; sounds really unpleasant.  BenGay helped with mine when I was his age.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: