Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Cancer sign?  (Read 306 times)

Offline Itsimplymelc

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Cancer sign?
« on: August 29, 2014, 09:31:51 PM »
So I was seeing an oncologist to rule out leukemia /lymphoma his name was dr stevens. I now watch gods not dead and the girl is diagnosed with lymphoma by a dr stevens. Is this some sort of sign ? Has this happened to anyone before?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Itsimplymelc

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Cancer sign?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 06:52:31 AM »
Answer anyone?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 07:36:56 AM »
no it isn't a sign of cancer.  it is a sign of anxious thinking

anxious people see things, make 'connections'  when there are no real connections to be made.  This is just magical thinking.  which is common with anxious minded folk.

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Itsimplymelc

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 10:26:19 AM »
Right but isn't that oddly coincidental?
Bookmark and Share

Offline worrierJ

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 10:41:42 AM »
There was a time I had a cancer scare. I was walking down the hospital corridor and when I looked up I saw a big sign that said "CANCER" as I was in front of some CANCER Therapy Room. I felt a knot in my stomach and I was so certain this was not a coincidence. It turned out it was a coincidence. I felt quite silly afterwards but I do understand how scary it feels while in the moment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 11:54:35 AM »
No, its really not that odd that the world has produced a real Dr. stevens and a fictional Dr. stevens.
Bookmark and Share

Offline enfantterrible

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »

anxious people see things, make 'connections'  when there are no real connections to be made. 

Just what I needed.

I agree, but it can be very hard to convince yourself sometimes. Sometimes someone has to tell you outright that it's just pure coincidence.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Ihadcancer

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 03:48:29 PM »
The first time I went to see my oncologist after my 1st cancer surgery I noticed the machines in the room said Allen Weldy and I was sure it was a sign of impending death (my brother who was murdered..... middle and last name).  I showed it to my mother and she thought it was a good sign.  We looked back and that's not what it said AT ALL.  It was what we saw, but not what was there.  I still can't tell you what it actually was because 5 1/2 years later, I still THINK I see his name.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Itsimplymelc

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 04:25:54 PM »
Thank you for all your replies. It's just really odd because I had finally stopped worrying. I know the name was definitely dr stevens and my drs first name is Jeffrey And so was a caracter in the movie
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 07:25:42 PM »
no it isn't oddly coincidental.  it is YOU turning it into something that means absolutely NOTHING.  Anxious people and superstitious people turn nothings into somethings all of the time.  It is a product of magical thinking.  that is all.

and so what if your doctor had the same name as a character in a movie??? 

are you really trying to make some connection that because you had a doc named jeffery stevens and a movie you watched had a doctor with the same name dx-ing a fictional character with lymphoma MEANS anything in your life?  Like Hollywood is some kind of magical conduit reaching out to you---Itsimplymeic????  Hollywood is saying-  "You have cancer.  We are naming a character in a cancer movie the same as your doctor to get you to SEE you have cancer too."         Is THAT what your anxious thinking is trying to convince you of??   If that is your argument,  that is pretty darned out there---irrational thinking run amok  :yes: :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline rileybug

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2014, 06:33:06 PM »
Stevens is a common name-and some are going to be docs-move on
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2014, 09:14:20 PM »
The only thing this is a sign of is that you watched a truly dreadful movie. 

Seriously, I always worry about "signs" and things that are "bad luck" and stuff like that.  But it's all in our heads.  None of it is actually real.  I could give you a huge list of things I thought meant something terrible - none of them did!  Being superstitious is crappy, and often seems to go with HA - I guess it's all a form of OCD?  But you don't have to worry about them. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: