Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Rabies fear  (Read 99 times)

Offline tobito

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Rabies fear
« on: August 29, 2014, 06:05:34 AM »
I'm all but counting down the days until summer is over and I'll be able to sleep again at night.

My rabies anxiety has absolutely exploded the past few days, to the point where I'm tearing apart my bedroom just to see if there's any sign of a bat anywhere. In the process, I got an odd wet patch on the sleeve of my dark shirt, which wiped off red on a white cloth, so naturally I've got myself convinced I was exposed that way, even though it happened about fifteen minutes ago, and I still haven't seen this elusive, invisible, rabies-carrying bat.

But honestly, I've got no clue what to do. Any time I start feeling warm, I figure I've got a fever and I'm a goner. I've barely slept when it's dark out, but I'm positive that during one of those rare instances, I was bit, and the bat left without a trace. I can't even eat food that's been left out on the counter anymore.

I was vaccinated last summer (received eight shots total, I believe; the full post-exposure regimen), assured by the health department and a local urgent care doctor that my vaccine was theoretically good for a long time (and by our insurance company's 24-hour nurse line that, unless I was bitten by a rapid dog in India, I probably didn't have much to worry about); I also know that we've taken steps to remove the bats that were previously in our attic (pest control wouldn't even come to check and see if they were gone; that's how gone they're supposed to be), but I just can't rationalize or even accept any of this.

Any advice anyone could give would be most appreciated. I'm at my wit's end.
Bookmark and Share

Offline totallyphobic

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rabies fear
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 08:08:56 AM »
I have been where you are right now and you need to believe the professionals. I too received the shots and a couple of years later my fear like yours gripped me again. The fact that you received the shots affords you some immunity and even years later according to the CDC person I called at that time. Because of the shots your body remembers and provides an immune response and you have a better chance of survival. Now here is something else you may want to consider the less then 1% of all bats are rabid and being bit by one you have a greater chance of being struck by lightening.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: