Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Dealing with stress  (Read 183 times)

Offline iyjnn

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Dealing with stress
« on: August 28, 2014, 07:45:41 PM »
Does anyone have any tips/advice for dealing with every day stress in a more effective way? I'm a college student and "the real world" has definitely slapped me in the face recently haha. I love college and I can handle the work but I find myself constantly worrying about other things like money and the future and such. I know this is separate from GAD because most people worry about these things, but I feel like having anxiety makes it so much worse.

When faced with stressful situations, instead of taking them as they come and dealing with them I tend to shut down because I'm so worried and fearful. I feel like every day I have a breakdown because I don't have enough money, I won't get a good job, etc. I honestly do think I've made progress with my anxiety and I'm a lot better at positivity than I was before, but it's been difficult to get through the day without SOME stressful situation bringing me down.

Anyway I thought I'd post this to see if anyone had any advice. I understand everyone worries about these things but there has to be some way to deal with it without completely losing my mind. I picked up so many methods of dealing with my GAD throughout high school but now that I have real worries and concerns it all seems so overwhelming and nothing is enough :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hopeful77

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dealing with stress
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 09:01:24 PM »
This sounds like GAD worries to me.  Yes, everyone worries about these things, but when you have GAD, the worries take over your mind because you can't shut them off.  At least that is what is has been like for me.  I worried about stuff far out of proportion to the size of the problem and I couldn't stop the worry.  I have made some progress in the last year.  One thing I have learned is if I have a worry, then I try to decide is there something I can do.  For instance, if I am worried about getting the flu, I could get a flu shot.  If there is nothing I can do about the worry (for instance if I was worried about an asteroid hitting the earth, there is not much I can do about that) then I need to try to let the worry go.  I have learned that it does no good to try to talk myself out of the worry.  Back to the asteroid example, if I tried to convince myself that an asteroid would not hit the earth, I would not be very successful in abolishing the worry.  I would just be focusing on it more.  Now I try to just tell myself that it is my GAD talking-that my brain is telling me that this asteroid thought is important and I need to focus on it when really it is not important, just a miscommunication in my brain and I try to distract myself.  It doesn't always work, but it helps a lot of the time.  I hope you can find some relief.

Bookmark and Share
Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.  1 Peter 5:7

Offline iyjnn

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 07:41:15 PM »
Thank you, this is definitely helpful! I'll keep this in mind the next time I start worrying excessively
Bookmark and Share

Offline jeffery5568

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 02:41:53 PM »
I am in the exact same place I had my anxiety under control with Zoloft for almost 2 years in that time I started college did well went through several stressful events with out any problem so about 2 months ago I decided I no longer needed the Zoloft. So I slowly came of it and was fine then 2 weeks ago I started my last year year of school I am in the physical therapy assistant program. It is very stressful and without the help of Zoloft I am having really bad anxiety and depression to the point where I may drop out. Stoping my meds could cost me to lose this chance to do something I want really bad. I could beat my self to death for this and it's driving me crazy.
Bookmark and Share

Offline B-Rye

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 10:40:39 PM »
I can relate with you on the meds issue.  I have been on and off Zoloft for 10 years.  I typically start it up again when I have an "episode", which creates major side effects each time.  I stay on it for 8-9 months, then stop for one reason or another.  Finally last year I made the decision to stay on it for the long term- it has really made a difference.  All my GAD symptoms are more mild, even the "episodes".  Maybe you should consider going back on and see if that helps. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: