Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Weight loss questions  (Read 83 times)

Offline Vasallus

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Weight loss questions
« on: August 28, 2014, 02:08:45 PM »
Around two years ago my anxiety got really bad. My weight started dropping, and I was having panic attacks all the time. I started eating healthy just because I was afraid if I didn't I would die of a heart attack! I ended up dropping about 30 pounds in a few months.

Fast forward to January of this year. I weighed 225 lbs in October 2013 and got a physical in January of 2014 and weighed 190. The doctor asked me about the weight loss and I realized I hadn't been eating healthy anymore. All I had done was I stopped drinking sodas and drank a lot more water. So that's what I told him and he didn't seem concerned at all.

Right now I weigh 188 and the weight won't come back. I eat sweets and fast food moderatrly and don't get much exercise. Could just cutting out soda and drinking mostly water really keep all my old weight off?

I'm a 26 year old guy so I guess my metabolism could be playing a part in it. My stomach does give me trouble like IBS symptoms. I'm just wondering if this is all okay?!
Bookmark and Share

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 7
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
Re: Weight loss questions
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:18:37 PM »
A couple months ago when my anxiety started to get really bad and I was constantly having panic attacks I also dropped a lot of weight. I lost about 25 pounds. I had never looked worse in my entire life, I looked so unhealthy and everyone who saw me (who knew me previously) always remarked on my weight. I felt so unhealthy and everyone was so worried because usually dropping that kind of weight so fast is generally never a good sign. However, I went through pretty much every medical test you can think of and everything came back completely fine.
That's when I got my anxiety diagnosis. Stress affects our body so much that I can't even begin to explain the lengths here but its affects everything in our bodies and everybody reacts to stress in different ways - when our bodies react to stress we do or don't do certain things that can also contribute to our symptoms. The doctor told me that I was so stressed (which lead me to not eating properly or much at all) and that combined with my extremely heightened level of anxiety lead to my weight loss. (For some people it works the opposite - a lot of people tend to eat a lot when their stressed so they actually gain weight).

To combat this I started eating much more healthier and regularly. I also only drink water, occasionally I will have a glass of juice (like orange) but pretty much the only liquid I consume is water (which makes such a huge difference I can't even explain - especially if you're the kind of person who used to/does drink soda).

If you've had the proper kind of testing done and your doctor doesn't seem concerned then I'm positive that you can safely attribute this all to stress and high levels of anxiety! I'm sure that you will be fine. I'm always around if you need to talk!
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Offline Vasallus

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Weight loss questions
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 04:28:37 PM »
Thank you so much for the reply and encouraging advice! Yeah I had a full physical back in January, blood work, urine, etc. and he said the only thing was my cholesterol was 4 points above normal. I'm trying to eat healthier but I travel a lot for work so sometimes it is very difficult.

I'm sure if something was wrong that caused my weight loss I would definitely know it by now. Thank you and I am also here if you ever need to talk. :)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: