Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Tingling, twitching, body zaps=fibromyalgia?  (Read 205 times)

Offline Colie2

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Tingling, twitching, body zaps=fibromyalgia?
« on: August 28, 2014, 01:21:07 AM »
I went to the neurologist today for the third time bc my symptoms changed last week. In addition to widespread twitching, tingling, and randomly feeling like some one pokes me with a needle, I began having tingling on my whole head and also feeling like I was vibrating internally. Dr has been saying it's anxiety all along, but today he said I might have fibro bc all of my tests came back normal. I've had a ct and a emg. He did blood tests today, but my last set 4 months ago were normal, with the exception of a slightly low thyroid. He prescribed me cymbalta and said to take one in the morning and if that wasn't making a difference I could take another one at night. I'm
So confused and this is spiking my anxiety. I'm not even researching fibro bc I don't want to imagine every symptom. Any advice?
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
Re: Tingling, twitching, body zaps=fibromyalgia?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 04:44:04 AM »
There is a theory about fibro having a basis in anxiety.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline brittanyborg

• Rec's: 6
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Struggling to find myself again
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:20:19 AM »
So weird because I've had every single one of those symptoms you've just mentioned - mine come on randomly though and usually don't last more than 24 hours. Once it's gone the usually stay gone for quite sometime until they phase themselves in again for another appearance.

I also get the itching all over my body accompanied by the "body zaps" to me it almost feels like I'm being stung by a bee for a brief moment and then the pain will go away and the "sting" will occur somewhere else in my body.

I think this could all just be related to anxiety - especially when we're going through especially anxious periods. Your nervous system can cause a great deal of a chaos on your body and I've never really found any answers for this either. I attribute to mostly to anxiety and although it is extremely bothersome and (at times) painful it doesn't truly bring me any harm so I try my best not to pay any attention to it.
Bookmark and Share
  • I don't know a perfect person, I only know flawed people who are still worth loving."
  • "Storms make trees take deeper roots"

Online AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 10:58:29 AM »
The best advice I can suggest is that you call your neurologist's office to ensure that they send their office notes back to your primary care doctor so he or she knows what's going on and schedule a follow-up with them for further discussion of the potential diagnosis. I would advise that you not take two cymbalta daily until you see your primary doctor, if you're taking it just stick to one per day.

I don't know why the neuro would say it's fibro because testing came back normal....as the tests would be normal with anxiety. Did he do a physical exam specifically for fibro? There is a "tender points" test where they press specific points on the body and having multiple tender spots supports the diagnosis.

Certainly fibro is a potential diagnosis that could include some of the symptoms you describe, but there is also very clear body tenderness which is made worse with fatigue and other factors, and generally the tenderness has to cover both sides of the body as well as above and below the waist.

It's good that fibromyalgia is being recongized more lately but I think there may be a tendency to use it as a wastebasket diagnosis so to speak. The good news is that Cymbalta is indicated for anxiety as well as fibromyalgia so whether or not you have fibro, the treatment may still be on target for you. But I think seeing your doctor back to further evaluate the possible fibro diagnosis would be beneficial for you. Best of luck!

:action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Colie2

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:03:07 PM »
The nuero did not do a fibro test. He did not check me for tender points. He has said it is anxiety for the last 3 months and this is the first time he mentioned fibro. I was really irritated when he told me to up my dose to two without even seeing how I do with one. I'm waiting for my blood test results come back and I made an appt with my general dr. I'm not going to start cymbalta  until I get the results and see my primary dr.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: