Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Lump in my mouth! Freaking the eff out!  (Read 195 times)

Offline Hypowoman90

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Lump in my mouth! Freaking the eff out!
« on: August 27, 2014, 10:17:37 PM »
I was drinking something and noticed that the area under my tongue hurts. You know the fleshy and soft area under your chin where you can feel your finger with your tongue if you press hard enough ( sorry, I don't know the medical term for this area )? well I stuck my finger down that area and felt a small lump on my jaw in my mouth. It feels like it's bruised and only noticeable when I swallow.  Freaking out that I have oral cancer right now. I have been a smoker for 6 years!

Oh my god. What have I done to myself? I feel sick and I'm starting to break out in to a cold sweat.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
Re: Lump in my mouth! Freaking the eff out!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 11:50:04 PM »
If it were me, I would schedule an appointment with either a dentist (they can spot oral issues) or your GP in 1-2 weeks. Then wait a few days to see if maybe it's just a cyst or injury from eating. If it's still there in 1-2 weeks, go in and see what they say. If it's not, you can always cancel the appointment.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:47:49 AM »
I just felt the other side and it has the same thing. Still scared though.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 08:23:30 AM »
Hi HWoman90,

I've been around enough to see hundreds of posts like this. One of the other things I've seen countless times on the anxiety boards are the fears you're posting about and the fact that you smoke. This is the most baffling thing I see on the boards.  B-;

Please...please...please... don't let this fear you currently have go for naught. QUIT SMOKING!!

I had cancer. I was a smoker, drinker and had a lifestyle that opened me up to risks. I had Squamous Cell Carcinoma, Stage IV, HPV+ My cancer was due to smoking, drinking and the lifestyle I led. Ohhh, let me also mention that smoking was part of the reason I developed heart disease, had two heart attacks, bypass surgery and stents!

I'm not a doctor but what you describe doesn't present itself like OC. Most cases develop later in life (I was 53) and I take it based on your screen name you're in your 20's? The mantra is: If an area, lesion or node doesn't resolve in a few weeks see a doctor. If this sends some fear into you, it's intended to do so only for the fact that smoking WILL cause you health problems. So please quit smoking. Don't allow your worst fears to become reality. This is not only for you but for everyone who reads this and smokes.

Positive thoughts

Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline Hypowoman90

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 01:07:14 PM »
Yes. I know i need to quit. I do want to but I have tried at least 10 times this year and failed due to my partner being a smoker and everyone else I know smoking. Being around people who smoke 24/7 makes it very very difficult. I started around 18 or 19 and I'm 24 now.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 01:59:33 PM »
Yes. I know i need to quit. I do want to but I have tried at least 10 times this year and failed due to my partner being a smoker and everyone else I know smoking. Being around people who smoke 24/7 makes it very very difficult. I started around 18 or 19 and I'm 24 now.

It's much more difficult to deal with cancer and heart disease. I speak from experience.

Good Luck and Positive Thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 05:56:57 PM »
If you quit now, you should have no adverse effects from it. My dad died from smoking - lung cancer - so I encourage you to do whatever you can to quit.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: