Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Introductions!  (Read 39 times)

Offline rachel006

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Introductions!
« on: August 27, 2014, 09:42:45 PM »
Hi everyone!
My name is Rachel, as you can see, and I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety and depression two years ago, although I have suffered from both for much longer. It took a lot of urging from my friends and a lot of guts to get help, but I'm very glad I did. Now I'm much more confident talking about my mental health problems in the open and I also try to help others with similar disorders. I'm hoping eventually the stigma around them will die down and it will be easier to get help for those who need it. This is also my first anxiety or depression forum and I thought it would be a good place to build some community and get advice. :)
Bookmark and Share

Online MobileChucko

• Try? Try not! There is no try...
  • Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 21
  • Mood: Curious
    Curious
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Introductions!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:16:10 PM »
Hello Rachel, and welcome to Anxiety Zone...  My name is Chuck, and I am one of the Global Moderators here on the site.

You are now a member of our community, where you will find support and advice from other members in similar situations.   It's always nice to find someone else who understands, and to know you're not alone.

We have sections in the forum that address specific concerns, so feel free to post or start a new topic in the section that best fits your situation.  Feel free to explore the rest of the forum.  You may find the other topics helpful, and you may be able to offer advice or support to someone else.

We also have a chat room for members over the age of 18.  Once you have made three meaningful posts, you will be allowed access to the chat room.

Something that I want to share with you, Rachel.  I once heard a therapist give a lecture, and during her talk, she asked the audience which disorder was a physical illness, and which was a mental illness.  She randomly named off both physical and mental illnesses, and we in the audience all answered the same.  Upon completing her list, she told us that we had only gotten half of the answers right.  We all looked at each other rather puzzled.  She told us that there was no such thing as "mental" illness, that all illnesses have a physical component to them.

If you have diabetes, the disease will manifest itself with unstable blood sugars.  If you have something wrong with the brain, you can develop symptoms of anxiety and/or depressive.

I never forget what that therapist said.

It is good to have you here as a new member.  The very best to you, Rachel!...  Chuck :grinning-smiley-003:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: