Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: brain tumor fears  (Read 127 times)

Offline sarah0876

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
brain tumor fears
« on: August 27, 2014, 07:24:22 PM »
I am new to this forum, but unfortunately not new to health anxiety. I am a 38 year old female and have been experiencing health anxiety for the past 2 years. I was on Zoloft for about 7 months and then weaned off of that but my anxiety returned. I am now on Lexapro, 10mg a day. My latest health scare is a brain tumor. This has resulted from having brain zaps 1-2 times a day, mainly in the evening for the past week or so. I have been a lot more anxious in the past month, and I don't think my medication is working as well as it was working previously. I also have been waking up in the morning feeling nauseous. The nausea goes away when I eat something, but it scares me because I know nausea can be a symptom of brain tumors. I also don't know why I am getting the brain zaps while on the medication...I know it is a withdrawal effect but I haven't skipped any pills. I keep wondering if this is what a mild seizure feels like. I have 2 kids and desperately want to be a non anxious mom, but I am so scared that I won't live to see them grow up. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give!
Bookmark and Share

Offline PandaNinja

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
  • Look for the Light
    • Poke This Member
Re: brain tumor fears
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 07:37:08 PM »
I am new to this forum, but unfortunately not new to health anxiety. I am a 38 year old female and have been experiencing health anxiety for the past 2 years. I was on Zoloft for about 7 months and then weaned off of that but my anxiety returned. I am now on Lexapro, 10mg a day. My latest health scare is a brain tumor. This has resulted from having brain zaps 1-2 times a day, mainly in the evening for the past week or so. I have been a lot more anxious in the past month, and I don't think my medication is working as well as it was working previously. I also have been waking up in the morning feeling nauseous. The nausea goes away when I eat something, but it scares me because I know nausea can be a symptom of brain tumors. I also don't know why I am getting the brain zaps while on the medication...I know it is a withdrawal effect but I haven't skipped any pills. I keep wondering if this is what a mild seizure feels like. I have 2 kids and desperately want to be a non anxious mom, but I am so scared that I won't live to see them grow up. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can give!

First I'd talk to your doctor about changing your medication... Zaps are very unpleasant, I've had them before while coming off of paxil and other antidepressants.

Secondly, I really doubt you have any sort of brain tumor. If you did, it would begin to seriously effect your bodys functions. Your senses would become messed up, or you'd lose control of bodily functions, or you'd do as my friend did and simply faint.

I think you are in the clear, but please do look at getting that medication changed soon.
Bookmark and Share
"Be on the watch, the Gods will offer you chances, know them and take them. You can't beat death, but you can beat death in life. Sometimes the more often you learn to do it, the more light there will be. You are marvelous, and the gods wait to delight in you." - Charles Bukowski, The Laughing Heart

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: brain tumor fears
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 10:24:14 PM »
Brain zaps are not a brain tumor symptom; they are a side effect of antidepressants.  I got them when I was ON effexor, not when I was withdrawing from it.  If they disturb your life that much, speak to your doctor, but they're not dangerous.  Brain tumor nausea doesn't go away when you eat; you have a stomach problem, probably because of nerves. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: