Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Throat hurts/Swallowing razors feeling  (Read 129 times)

Offline fmfdoc

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Throat hurts/Swallowing razors feeling
« on: August 27, 2014, 07:18:10 AM »
Hello all,

Since Saturday, I had pain upon swallowing only on my left side of my throat, by the tonsil. My right side is completely unaffected. It feels as every time I swallow, I am swallowing razors. It hurts extremely bad. I went to the doctor. He said it didn't look to red, not was there pus coming out, but he prescribed me 875mg of Amoxicillin to take for 10 days. Its been a few days, and it still hurts bad. My tonsil is NOT swollen, nor do I have a fever. I shined a light back there, and I don't see any type of Canker sore. I attached a picture as well. looking at the picture, the pain is on the right side of this picture(In actuality, its my left side). Anybody have any rememdies to stop the pain? I tried salt water gargles, lidocaine lozengers ect..no avail.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 64
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
Re: Throat hurts/Swallowing razors feeling
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 08:13:47 AM »
I would give it some time. If it does not get better, I would go to an ENT physician, who can insert a tube up your nose while you are awake and into your throat to look around. I have had this done to me a number of times and it is a piece of cake.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Online TyeDyedButterfly

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 08:19:32 AM »
Do you have sinus problems or allergies? My throat hurts off and on due to those problems . If I get a sinus infection it is horrible !

Give the med time to work and one thing that will burn really bad but help clean out germs is Listerine but be prepared !  Salt water didn't help me much either.

I am hearing a lot about people with sore throats and coughing , my husband was sick for around 4 weeks with it.
Hope you feel better soon and like Marc replied see an ENT if it doesn't get better.

Did they do a Strep Test? If not ask for one.

Peace
Tye
Bookmark and Share
PEACE, LOVE AND HAPPINESS !

Offline Forrester

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 08:36:36 AM »
Had this same exact thing a few weeks ago - razor sharp pain only on the left side of the throat, made even worse when swallowing. Was worried about tonsils, but the doctor said they weren't swollen. They tested for strep, though, which came back negative. It took a little over a week to clear up. Doctor told me it was just something viral, and nothing to worry about.

Hope that helps.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mct425

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 09:24:04 AM »
I had the same as Forrester. Razor sore throat that was negative for strep. It was viral and lasted about 7-10 days. Are you having any post nasal drip? That can cause one sided throat pain.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:53:46 AM »
Oh, that sounds unpleasant.  Probably not serious - keep taking the antibiotics but it may just have to go away on its own, depending on the cause. 

Gargling with hydrogen peroxide mixed with water might help - follow the directions on the bottle.  It works for me better than saltwater - but be warned, it tastes nasty and the taste sticks to your mouth for a while. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline fmfdoc

• Rec's: 1
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:24:29 PM »
Strep came back negative. It's day 5 and I'm ready for it to be gone. It hurts so bad to swallow. I do have post nasal drip as well. I just got my deviated septum fixed last year
Bookmark and Share

Online Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 05:41:49 PM »
I've been dealing with the same problem for over a year. It did get markedly better after my ENT prescribed Prilosec & I took it religiously for several months, but I still have intermittent pain when swallowing on my left side. Right now my ENT is on "chronic tonsillitis and possible TMJ" so just keep in mind it may take a while to figure this out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

• Rec's: 2
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 06:00:59 PM »
I've had this and it's gone away on its own. However, if I feel a sore throat coming on, I'll drink a tea (probably echinacea or "throat tamer") along with lemon, honey, apple cider vinegar, and cayenne pepper.
The cayenne reduces the inflammation in the back of the throat and helps.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: