Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Trying to do better with this fear of rabies!  (Read 147 times)

Offline WaterBottleDogFish

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Trying to do better with this fear of rabies!
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:47:48 PM »
The beginning of 2014 has not been good for me.....a small thought came in to my mind that I might have rabies and ever since its been a nightmare this ENTIRE year.....Im talking therapists, doctors, my family and such....I've lost sleep, became so anxious and scared my poor fiance didn't know what to do with me....the thing was the last time I was ever near a dog who bit me was over a year ago. I work with dogs, bathing them so some would get snippy but the places id work wouldnt accept dogs without their rabies shots. But I'm so afraid maybe one slipped past the system and it bit me or scratched me....my doctor last month said I'm fine....the likelihood of me having it is slim especially now that its been a year, he said id be showing symptoms waaaaayyy long ago....hearing him say it made me feel better and I've been doing good...but I got a cold, had a bad stomach pains and diarrhea and now I can feel it coming back...the fear. I've been doing SO good I can't go back to this fear!! Please help me....I don't want this to consume me I don't want to believe I'm gonna die because of rabies. Please.  :( :( :( :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Trying to do better with this fear of rabies!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 10:25:36 PM »
In one year's time, you'd be dead. The incubation period is way over, and those dogs didn't even have rabies. They were well loved pets sent to the groomers. Froofy dogs get birthday presents and trips to Yellowstone, not rabies!
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 10:48:16 PM »
Thank you....you're right I just wish I could keep going how I am, I'm doing so good, I don't want to fall back in to despari. I gotta pull through!! You're right. :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sugarpeeps

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:56:20 PM »
Hi there, I am sorry you are dealing with this. I too suffer this fear.  Can I ask how long you were really anxious with it? Was there anything that helped it ease off?  While I can't offer much help to you, I can sympathize.
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 05:25:43 AM »
Hi there, I am sorry you are dealing with this. I too suffer this fear.  Can I ask how long you were really anxious with it? Was there anything that helped it ease off?  While I can't offer much help to you, I can sympathize.

Its okay :) I started my anxiety in late February and it wasn't because I was showing symptoms....I just was up late one night bored and thought what if I was sick somehow? Then looked up rabies online and boy did I mess myself up for the whole rest of the year...I suffered horrible anxiety for months. I slept back with my folks for a week from the fear, found a therapist and went to two doctors. what helped me really ease off was time. You need time and a goal to get over this fear. It helps that if after a year you don't have any symptoms, you'll be fine. I still sometimes have the fear in the back of my mind but it doesnt cripple me from my day to day life anymore. Positive thinking, positive people and logic help a lot as well as really talking to someone about your fears instead of keeping it hidden because it will show once it takes over and theres no hiding it.
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 05:37:09 AM »
I once had a casual "boy, wouldn't that be crazy??" thought turn into a panic-inducing weekslong obsession.  Amazing what we do to ourselves, isn't it?!   
Bookmark and Share

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:55:26 AM »
I once had a casual "boy, wouldn't that be crazy??" thought turn into a panic-inducing weekslong obsession.  Amazing what we do to ourselves, isn't it?!

Aint that the truth!!! :) we're so easily convinced of the worst!!
Bookmark and Share

Online mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 09:32:46 AM »
It might make you feel better to know just how nuts I was:

I was afraid I was pregnant.  To be fair, I had literally EVERY symptom.  Even my doctors were like "Jesus, are you SURE you're not pregnant?  Because...you sound really pregnant."

So...logical worry, right?

Let me put it this way: unless 1. a new religion was about to be formed around me or 2. my lesbian life partner had grown a penis without telling me, it was...let's just say...scientifically improbable that I would be pregnant.

Or, you know, LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE.

But I was convinced I had developed some sleepwalking issues and had gotten myself knocked up.

God love my girlfriend, who saw me through it.  And did not once assume I must have cheated on her to get so worked up in a state over it.  (I mean, what else would someone think in that situation?  Sheesh.) 

Your rabies is no more real than my pregnancy.  (I never did find out why I had so many symptoms, incidentally, as they went on way longer than you'd think if they were psychosomatic.  I assume hormones, changing medications, etc.)  I know the fear is incredibly real and I wish you the best of luck in getting past it. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: