Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Thyroid Nodule and Cancer?  (Read 224 times)

Offline fmfdoc

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Thyroid Nodule and Cancer?
« on: August 26, 2014, 06:32:20 PM »
Good Evening everyone,

So today, I had an endocrine apt for a yearly follow up for a Thyroid Cyst. My cyst was 1.2 CM and all fluid last year. So I moved to a different duty station and have a new, more thorough provider. My cyst is now 1.5 CM and still fluid, but has solid material against the wall. They ordered labs to check my thyroid levels and Calcitonin (Blood Test which checks for cancer) and I have an appointment next Tuesday for a Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy. I am assuming they will take it to the lab to check it for cancer. Has anyone else ever dealt with this before? The Doctor told me that thyroid cancer is rare, but when men get cysts, we have more than a 14% chance of cancer than 11% for women. Im not totally freaking out yet, but I am a bit worried. Some reassurance would be helpful. Thank you for taking the time out to read my post and I hope everyone is doing well.

FMFDOC
Bookmark and Share

Offline potternut

• Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
Re: Thyroid Nodule and Cancer?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 07:37:19 PM »
Sorry you're going through this...I'm still waiting for the results of my ultrasound from Monday.  In my head, I'm thinking "No news is good news..." but then my HA roars and, well, you know what happens.

As for you...everything I've read and been told points to 2 things:
1-Your chances of it NOT being cancer is 95%.  If someone told me that I have a 95% of winning the lottery, I would absolutely play the numbers!

2-Worst case scenario that it is TC, it's completely treatable, quickly and effectively.  I know this is absolutely no comfort to you (or me) right now but it's going to be OK either way.

I work in a middle school.  Today I was walking through the halls and I noticed a poster that one group of kids made.  It said "The only thing stronger than FEAR is HOPE."  I think my kids got it right!!
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Online anxiouskathie

• Global Moderator
  • Rec's: 210
  • Mood: Relaxed
    Relaxed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:23:12 PM »
FM,

glad we got to talk in chat about this some and I hope it helped your nerves a bit.  Let us know how it goes!  You'll be fine and we will be thinking of you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cmc1991

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:29:33 AM »
Hi! I just had a biopsy done of my thyroid nodules and mine are 1.1 cm and 1.4 cm.... Mine came back not cancerous. Only 5% of them are, it is very common. I worried about this as well, worried myself sick actually!
Bookmark and Share

Offline fmfdoc

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 07:11:16 AM »
Cmc, What did they recommend for your cyst after it was benign? Are they going to leave it alone, or get it removed?
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 09:38:17 AM »
I have bilateral complex thyroid nodules.  They look like cancer; the presentation is textbook for thyroid cancer; they're gigantic and visible to the naked eye.  The ultrasound tech thought they would be cancer (or seemed to with the comments she made), my GP thought they would be cancer.  Somehow, they are not cancer.  One's grown a bit in a year, one's shrunk a bit.  They're an uncomfortable nuisance but my doctors are not at all concerned.

So...what I'm getting at here is that you probably don't have cancer, just a nodule. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cmc1991

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 11:28:55 AM »
Nothing, basically monitoring them... I I back in 6 months just for a checkup! Everything will be ok :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline fmfdoc

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 12:08:28 PM »
I appreciate everyones response. Guess all I can do is get the procedure(FNA BIOPSY) done on Tuesday and go from there. :dazed:
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 37
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 12:44:04 PM »
The FNA biopsy was no big deal for me.  It didn't really hurt much; mostly I was uncomfortable by the doctor pushing on my neck to get at the nodules. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ceh1354

• Rec's: 8
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 01:50:08 PM »
I haven't had nodules, although I do have hypothyroidism. 14% isn't high. Try not to worry, easier to say, I know. But yeah, you're better off getting it over with so you can stop worrying. I'm sure you'll be fine.

From your user name, I assume you're a corpsman. Do you think that is worse for your HA, that you know "just enough", or did your job kick off your HA at all? I'm just curious. :-)

Wishing the best for you.
Bookmark and Share
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes. Ephesians 6:11

Offline fmfdoc

Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 05:19:41 PM »
Yes. I have knowledge in internal medicine and medical in general, so since I can interpret labs and results, it kicks my HA in really high
Bookmark and Share

Tags: