Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Doctor wanted blood tests - questions for more knowledgeable  (Read 397 times)

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 39
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Doctor wanted blood tests - questions for more knowledgeable
« on: August 26, 2014, 03:19:36 PM »
I told my doctor about my weird bruising and spontaneous rectal bleeding - didn't get to the bleeding gums and extra-long periods before he cut me off and said we should check platelet levels and clotting abilities.  He said he doesn't expect anything to show up, but he didn't hear my full array of symptoms either.  I didn't push it because I figured I'd get the same tests either way. 

While he was talking about it, he dug out my chart and checked my platelet counts *from last year* and said they were completely normal/unremarkable.  I thought leukemia could come on in a matter of *weeks*.   Can anyone with more knowledge clue me in?  I guess that means whatever might be wrong with me, he isn't expecting acute leukemia, which is good.  Didn't get the chance to - he seemed in a hurry today.  Not sure if he's just sick of me or was overbooked, or a combo of both. 

Still nervous, though.  Really nervous.  Get the results tomorrow. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lindsay2427

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
    • Poke This Member
Re: Doctor wanted blood tests - questions for more knowledgeable
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:45:12 PM »
I know you have noticed bruising but what up with the rectal bleeding? Did that just come out of the blue? I also saw your post about bleeding gums. Mine bleed all the time. I have never thought twice about it and I'm one o the worlds biggest hypos!! I don't think your symptoms sound anything like leukemia.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 03:58:50 PM »
I have IBS and hemorrhoids so I assume it stems from that, but spontaneous bleeding, rather than provoked, seems worrisome to me.

I'm having one of those times where I just know something horrible is up.  Hopefully I'm wrong. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline rap_Talon

• Rec's: 3
  • Mood: Depressed
    Depressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 06:49:40 PM »
IBS and hemorrhoids are most likely the cause of your bleeding. Is it red blood, like you might get from an open wound? If so this signifies that it is coming from near the anus itself, rather than from somewhere within the body. Hemorrhoid blood is exactly like that.

Sounds like he's testing to see whether it could be a wound that isn't healing properly; hence the check on the clotting ability. Platelet count can help rule out any number of diseases :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline soaringfalcon

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 10:12:01 PM »
Sounds likes he's just being cautious.  I know several people that have had spontaneous bleeding like that...all of them were from hemorrhoids that needed cauterized or tied off.

Leukemia can come in a matter of weeks but you would be feeling very, very ill right now. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 04:10:18 AM »
Could be.  It's having all these things at once that's freaking me out, not necessarily any one particular one.  Guess I'll find out tomorrow.  Just wish I could stop panicking.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 05:38:54 AM »
IBS and hemorrhoids are most likely the cause of your bleeding. Is it red blood, like you might get from an open wound? If so this signifies that it is coming from near the anus itself, rather than from somewhere within the body. Hemorrhoid blood is exactly like that.

Sounds like he's testing to see whether it could be a wound that isn't healing properly; hence the check on the clotting ability. Platelet count can help rule out any number of diseases :)

I totally missed this reply before - yes, it's standard hemorrhoid blood, just a LOT more than I usually get.  Like I have to sit there pinching the site for a few minutes because it's bleeding like a fresh wound.  Usually I only get bleeding like that when I have an anal fissure open up, but this comes without the pain that comes with those. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 27
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 07:02:51 AM »
"Prove normalcy" is how docs are trained.  They believe you are fine, but need to prove it.  I do have a question for you however.  Do you take fish oils or omega 3's?  How about anti-inflammatories like advil?
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline marc

• Community Greeter
  • Rec's: 65
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 08:16:03 AM »
My GI physician told me that any rectal bleeding should be thoroughly investigated.
Bookmark and Share
If you're going through hell, keep going.
Never, Never, Never, give up.

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 09:28:13 AM »
"Prove normalcy" is how docs are trained.  They believe you are fine, but need to prove it.  I do have a question for you however.  Do you take fish oils or omega 3's?  How about anti-inflammatories like advil?

No to the first two - I know those can cause bruising.  I occasionally take ibuprofin but not regularly. 

I explained the bleeding to my doctor and how it was happening - that sitting on the toilet seems to set it off, not so much actually going, and he asked if it was bright red, I said yeah, and he was like "yup, hemorrhoids."  Which I figured, since, well...I pretty obviously have hemorrhoids.  They're just...THERE.  I was more concerned with their seemingly random bleeding.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 06:12:24 PM »
My platelets are normal but my iron is low - doctors seem conflicted on whether that can cause easy bruising or not.  Maybe it's related.  I didn't get to talk to the doctor or I would've asked him about that specifically.  Might explain why I'm feeling a bit rundown lately, but that could also just be anxiety. 
Bookmark and Share

Tags: