Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Anxiety/possible hypochondria/ALS fears  (Read 134 times)

Offline GMA2014

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Anxiety/possible hypochondria/ALS fears
« on: August 26, 2014, 02:00:06 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm a 28 year old mother of two. I've suffered from mild to moderate anxiety for about a year and a half now. Until recently it was manageable but now it seems to be getting the better of me. I'm sure that you've all heard of (or possibly done) the ice bucket challenge to raise awareness for ALS. I watched youtube video after youtube video after clicking on a link that a friend posted. After watching these videos I became extremely emotional and felt so bad for these people. Went to bad that night feeling fine and woke up feeling fine. Then, somehow, later that day I became obsessed with the thought that I too may have als (I know, I know. Sounds crazy). I started testing my strength, obsessively googling symptoms and even made the stupid mistake of checking the ALS forums (I didn't post, but did read quite a few threads). Now, I feel as though I'm weaker on my left side, and my thumb has been killing me for a few days now. I also have a sharp pain in my upper left arm. Any normal person would probably think no big deal, so why am I jumping to extreme conclusions? Can anxiety really give you physical symptoms that you're imaging? I go to the doctor only in extreme circumstances (so maybe once or twice every few years). I don't know where all of this came from.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
Re: Anxiety/possible hypochondria/ALS fears
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:16:41 PM »
Anxiety can provoke physical symptoms that you are or are not imagining.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline SRD0288

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 03:36:26 PM »
Anxiety can definitely cause a wide range of physical symptoms! It's amazing (not in a good way) what anxiety can do. You're probably just thinking about it too much and now your body is mimicking those thoughts. But seeing a Dr is always a good way to relieve your anxiety/thoughts!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jazeraca

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 03:37:12 PM »
Are you right-side dominant? I am, and like everyone who is right-handed, my left side is a bit weaker. Completely normal.

The weakness that comes with ALS is simply more than right vs left side dominance. You will KNOW when you have muscular atrophy. Lifting a cup of coffee can be extremely difficult, and such.
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, DESNOS, Fibro and other physical issues. Nothing serious, but of course my anxious mind will often find something very serious as with other things in my life. Anxiety is a fraud. Anxiety is not YOU or ME, it is an illness.

Offline GMA2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 03:43:47 PM »
J- I'm a lefty. I'll definitely be seeing a doctor for my anxiety once my insurance kicks in. I mean this is just ridiculous. I've skimmed through quite a few posts already and am seeing people in the exact same situation as myself. Now to stay away from google and obsessing over my "symptoms" will be the hard part.
Bookmark and Share

Offline GMA2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 03:46:47 PM »
By the way, thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it. I have a feeling that this board will come in quite handy. I wish that I found this ages ago.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: