Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Weight Loss/Digestion Changes  (Read 161 times)

Offline snew13

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Weight Loss/Digestion Changes
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:59:11 AM »
Hello,
I've been losing weight for the past month without trying (in fact, I've been eating "fattier" to gain some back). It's probably about 5-8 pounds and I can feel it. My digestion has been awesome (I struggle with IBS) and working just fine which never happens. I'm usually bloated all the time. I just started school up again (I'm a teacher) and I'm on my new teacher schedule (vastly different from my summer schedule; longer days) so I'm assuming it's my body adjusting but it worries me about cancer and such. My anxiety's been pretty good lately but it seems like the food I eat goes straight through me. My appetite's been very low lately too. I tend to wake up anxious but it gets better throughout the day so maybe this is all happening overnight?
Bookmark and Share

Offline AOKAY

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Re: Weight Loss/Digestion Changes
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 11:26:36 AM »
I'm another person who loses weight when I am stressed out.  I'm normally on the thin side so it becomes very apparent if I lose even 5 pounds and people start asking if I'm okay.  That, of course, sends my mind into a frenzy and I convince myself the reason I have lost weight is due to some wasting disease like cancer.  It does not help that I watched my father melt away from cancer when he was 65.  And, of course, the more you worry you might have some deadly disease, the more weight you lose as your brain is on high alert and sends your body's metabolism into overdrive.  It is downward spiral.
The good news is that as soon as your stress lessens your weight obsession goes away and the pounds miraculously start to reappear.  In the meantime, be conscious of how much you are eating.  You'll be amazed how little you eat when you are stressed.  Supplement your diet with liquid nourishment like Ensure or Boost.
I would be willing to bet that your weight loss is merely due to your new schedule and responsibilities.  If in doubt, you may be able to put your mind at ease by checking with your doctor.   I have a feeling you are fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline snew13

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 01:24:23 PM »
Thanks, AOKAY. I had this same thing happen last year (although I lost 10 pounds back then). I recently had blood tests and heart tests (for heart anxiety) and everything was in the optimal range. Last year I drank two Ensures per day and couldn't gain it back. It took a while to get the weight back on.
Bookmark and Share

Offline rh749747

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 09:20:53 PM »
Snew,

I just posted about this yesterday and am going through the same thing! I was working out heavily to lose weight and then stopped and naturally assumed my weight would have gone back up as I wasn't dieting or watching what I ate. I hopped on the scale and was 5lbs less! Instantly I assumed a disease and stressed for a week and ate everything I could. Down 2 more pounds! It felt like I was wasting away...I'm still very anxious about it and worried but I have gotten extremely good feedback in here!
Bookmark and Share

Offline snew13

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:58:21 AM »
rh749747, it's encouraging to hear someone going through the same thing. I'm at a measly 145 lbs (I was 165 lbs when I used to lift a lot of weights back about 3 years ago). This is probably the lowest weight I've been in a while. It, too feels like I'm "wasting". I've been having (sorry for the detail) extremely normal bowel movements (almost too normal) every morning, followed by diarrhea about an hour later (not too severe though) and I'm worried about it.
Bookmark and Share

Online Josephine07

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 10:12:08 AM »
When my anxiety was at its peak, when I was pregnant with my first baby I could not gain weight. I was obese when I started the pregnancy, and by the end of the pregnancy I was 40 lbs lighter. I would eat something small, and feel sick and full. I never gained that weight back. I still get that way when I'm in full panic mode, but I'm in the normal weight range now.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: