Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: If any of you are heart experts please read  (Read 241 times)

Offline pb

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
If any of you are heart experts please read
« on: August 26, 2014, 05:07:38 AM »
Yesterday I went to urgent care because I was very dizy and had palpataions. They did an EKG which was abnormal. I'm 34 non smoker, 120lbs at 5'4. I've had a lot if heart tests in the past so I try to ignore these symptoms but this time I was taking an antibiotic so I thought it was a reaction. Dr was going to send me to ER but decided not to because of all the tests I've had in past. After looking at my records he suggested I may have adrenal fatigue or thyroid issues. Ok. That's die. Once I get home I look at all the paper they gave me and the EKG was in there. Well it says sinus tachycardia and then under it combined atrial enlargement!?!!! So now I'm really freaking out.i look it up and says all these terrible things. How would an ultrasound and all the other tests not pick up on this. Why didn't dr mention it to me? I'm confused. I know I'll be at er tommorrow because I'm terrifyed
Bookmark and Share

Offline patmob

• Rec's: 10
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: If any of you are heart experts please read
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 06:05:30 AM »
Sorry you are going through this.  You're probably better off talking to your GP than heading back to the ER.  Let us know how you make out.
Bookmark and Share

Offline pb

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 06:53:25 AM »
I really feel like a ticking time bomb. Like I'm going to drop dead at any moment. Can anxiety give an abnormal EKG?
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 08:50:18 AM »
I'm not sure if anxiety can give an abnormal EKG.  Talk to your doctor about the results and your concerns.

I was getting a lot of palpitations and my thyroid ended up being very low.  I started on some meds for it and now the palpitations have dropped significantly. 

I'm not quite sure how an EKG could pick up the size of anything.  I thought you needed an actual u/s or CT in order to measure whether something is enlarged or not. 

Let us know what your doctor says. 
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 29
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 10:16:07 AM »
If you have had a normal echo in the recent past you don't have atrial enlargement.  An ECG isn't always accurate, and a further work-up needs done.  The two most common causes of left sided enlargement are high blood pressure, sleep apnea, atrial fibrillation and mitral valve prolapse.  Neither are worth getting yourself upset over.  If you haven't had a cardiologist work you up, have it done.  It could be a blip on an ECG, or something that is easily correctable.  If you are a big guy who snores...you might have your answer right there.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline AOKAY

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 10:50:17 AM »
Don't sweat your EKG results.
An EKG is a snapshot of your heart's electrical impulses at the singular moment they take the reading.  They offer the doctor a clue as to potential issues, which may then require further study, or not.  They are also known to throw off many false readings.
Take for example the fact that when I have an EKG it often shows I had a past heart attack, which I have not.  I had an EKG in May and I warned the nurse it may show a strange result, but it came back perfectly normal this time.
Then there is the case of my sister who was having classic heart symptoms and went to the doctor.  He pronounced her EKG to be perfect and sent her home.  Two days later she was having two stents implanted into her cardiac arteries on an emergency basis.
Take EKG results with a grain of salt.  They are not the end all and the be all.  If you've had a complete cardiac workup in the past and nothing was found, I can't believe a single crazy EKG result is indicative of anything other than a false positive.
My best to you.  You are doing the right thing to get checked-out, but don't allow one abnormal reading on an overly sensitive test concern you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline pb

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 11:28:16 AM »
I had an ultrasound of my heart when I was pregnant and a 24 hr monitor. That was 3 years ago. In 2008 I got the full work up for the same symptoms. However I got a abnormal stress test so they did nuclear stress test which was also abnormal. I then got a heart cath. I think I was the youngest person ( 28) to get one if these done. Well that came back normal. So I have just stopped with the drs. But now this. Everything is so scary to me. The dizziness the daily Palps especially when I lie down at night. Oh yeah and I had worn a 30 day monitor as well in 2008. They said I had Pvcs and pacs but no arrhythmia. I'm just terrified to do anything. : ( my drs appointment isn't until thursday
Bookmark and Share

Offline famv5

• Mood: Content
    Content
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 11:34:38 AM »
Have you had your thyroid tested?  The first thing my cardiologist did was order annual blood work including checking my thyroid.  It ended up very low and after just a month on the thyroid meds, the palpitations have reduced SO much.  I feel them occasionally, mainly around my period, but not daily like I was.

Feeling them when you lie down is VERY common.  I also wore a monitor and my cardiologist said I have PVC's and they are common and nothing to worry about.

It's a scary feeling when they happen, I know. 
Bookmark and Share
"Our anxiety does not empty tomorrow of its sorrows, but only empties today of its strengths" - Charles H. Spurgeon

Offline aardvark

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 11:37:55 AM »
Take for example the fact that when I have an EKG it often shows I had a past heart attack, which I have not.
Yes, quite. The computerised diagnostic system at the hospital here sometimes indicates that I've had a heart attack; sometimes it insists that the infarction is "recent" and at other times "old", and the location changes too. It also frequently concludes that I have never had a heart attack at all, which conclusion is supported by the cardiologist, having read my ECGs. In any case, "sinus tachycardia" is not a worrying diagnosis, and does not indicate an underlying problem with the electrical conduction of the heart the only potentially dangerous form of tachycardia is ventricular tachycardia, which can sometimes degenerate into a life-threatening condition called ventricular fibrillation.
Bookmark and Share

Offline pb

• Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
I get routine physicals every year. Blood work has never shown any thyroid issues
Bookmark and Share

Tags: