Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: New here - N. Fowleri  (Read 169 times)

Offline christmasfreak

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
New here - N. Fowleri
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:11:01 PM »
I've been lingering for a while, but never posted. New here, but not new to health anxiety.

Right now my current fear is N. Fowleri. I was cleaning the house yesterday and I was dusting. I used a dry paper towel on a candle holder that I was holding up in the air and let the dust fly out into the air I was breathing in. After a few minutes, I realized what I did and went to the bathroom and blew my nose a few times.

Now, today I've had 2 olfactory hallucinations. Those aren't new to me, and my neurologist can find nothing wrong in my brain as to why I'm having them, however I've never had 2 in one day. So now I'm afraid that (according to WebMD) I have N. Fowleri from breathing in the dust, and the hallucinations are from the beginning stages of PAM. Can someone help?
Bookmark and Share

Offline christmasfreak

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: New here - N. Fowleri
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 03:04:20 PM »
Now I woke up with sore neck and shoulders, my throat is a little sore, and I'm a little nauseated. I'm also achy all over and just feel sick. So worried this is N. Fowleri.
Bookmark and Share

Online fishmanpa

• Rec's: 7
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 03:29:45 PM »
You realize this is extraordinarily rare (128 fatalities in the last 52 years) and comes from contaminated pond water, not dust in your house?

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline christmasfreak

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 03:31:26 PM »
But WebMD said that it's found in indoor dust and that's how it may be spread too?
Bookmark and Share

Offline karachondria

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
  • Obsessed
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 04:08:07 PM »
I don't know where the rumour came from about the dust because naegleria fowleri lives in freshwater lakes. You're not dying. Don't be worried. It's a scary thing but it's so rare. These hallucination things you're describing are in the late stages of PAM not the early. The early stages are no sense of smell and flu like symptoms. But seriously you can't get it from dust.
Bookmark and Share

Offline christmasfreak

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 04:34:25 PM »
 :( I feel like I have flu like symptoms with the body aches, sore throat, fatigue, headache, nausea, ect.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 08:08:07 PM »
i am at the tail end of a fowleri panic after a day at a freshwat lake waterpRk. I don't know what to tell you. It really feels like the deep end of HA- pun intended. I have read a bunch about PAM over the past couple days, and your chances of having it are like 1 in 10,000,000. Plus, most people actually have antibodies to fowleri in their systems, suggesting we are all exposed routinely. The people who develop meningitis are thought to be missing a protein. So, add all that together and you can see why risk is so low despite fowleri's omnipresence in the environment. Dust isn't going to shoot up your sinuses to the olfactory nerves unless you are unfathomably unlucky. There's no way you got the amoeba from dusting. none.
Bookmark and Share

Offline christmasfreak

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 12:11:28 AM »
Ugh I'm just so scared. I now have a mild fever of 98.9 and I'm nauseated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline christmasfreak

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 12:12:19 AM »
And my neck is killing me.
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 05:13:28 AM »
98.9 isn't a fever by any stretch of the imagination, unless your body temperature is a degree below average all the time. 

Also you just plain don't have this.  It's literally impossible.
Bookmark and Share

Offline christmasfreak

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2014, 09:57:49 AM »
It went all the way up to 99.5 last night. Usually my normal temp is around 98.0 so this was a fever for me. Still don't feel great, but I'm not vomitting yet and I don't have a stiff neck, so I'm hoping this is just something viral that will pass. Drinking lots of fluids today in hopes that my fever won't come back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 10:29:27 AM »
Christmasfreak....the stories of n fowleri i've read cite crippling headache and intense fever, like 104, 105 degres. Think about it. This organism eats your brain. Really unlikely you'd be able to sit here for a couple days typing calmly if all that was going on. You would be seeing stars by now.

Your fever is hardly a fever, and there is a bug going around. My 7 year old has a slight fever, runny nose, sore throat, and croup. I have seen from ***** friends that something is going around all over the country.

Listen, I understand this panic and, given that my whole family acted like crazy, canonballing, diving, shooting off water slides fools at a lake over the weekend, I am monioring every little ache and pain in myself and my kids. But, I know on an intellectual level, that is so silly. This amoeba barely ever infects outside of thr Gulf states. And even in Gulf states, the infection is exceedingly rare. And all you did was dust. You don't have this amoeba. You just don't.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: