Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Bipolar or anxiety?  (Read 104 times)

Offline never quit

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Bipolar or anxiety?
« on: August 25, 2014, 05:56:17 PM »
So I don't think I have GAD at all, I think I am bipolar II, but my mania is anxiety. Or it's mixed states. Or agitated depression. Here's why:

1 - Anxiety has not responded to standard treatment of antidepressant plus benzo
2 - Anxiety is cyclical, can go away for weeks, kick on like a switch is thrown
3 - Anxiety is very high excitement, very high energy, but not full on mania
4 - During a cycle, need for sleep is decreased
5 - Had a doc diagnose me with agitated depression, right before ECT, actually, which is mixed states which is in fact a form of bipolar, though I will say he was the only one whoever made that diagnosis.

Solution?

Try a course of Lithium. If it works, there you go, anxiety was mania, or dysphoric mania, or both, they do co-occur I realize.

Why do you think anticonvulsants are so effective for anxiety disorders?

Just saying. Am very into action mode at the moment, looking at very expensive inpatient options with intensive evaluations.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bipolar or anxiety?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 06:35:29 AM »
Are you actually asking a question within this post? Or making a statement? I think with bi-polar the mood changes a lot. It can be, at times, like two different people. Person could be sweet as anything to you if you met them at noon. Come the evening if you happen to meet the same person again, they might be not bothered with your company. Not as sweet as they may have been earlier. I would class it more as a mood disorder. We used to see it in the chat room a fair bit. We knew the people who had bi-polar. We sort of knew not to take offence if their mood did change. I wouldn't class anxiety as a mood disorder. Personally I never accept anxiety as an excuse for people been rude towards others. It is anxiety I suffer with. We might not want company at times. Time alone and all of that. We can tell people in a nice way. It doesn't change our mood to the same extent it would a person with bi-polar.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline never quit

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Bipolar or anxiety?
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 08:27:55 AM »
More of a statement I guess, with hope that someone can relate. Nobody responded with the same thought, so, I guess it's more of a question now. Has anyone ever been treated for anxiety but had the doc shift gears and say your anxiety is caused by bipolar?

That's very true, anxiety is anxiety, bipolar is a mood disorder, but depression is a mood disorder and it's treated with the same meds as anxiety. I tend to get irritable, but I'm generally a nice person, even when suffering.  :happy0151: OK, that's the firs time I've ever used an emoticon.

I got a really expensive second opinion once years ago and the doc recommended Depakote. I don't think they get hung up on diagnosis, they pretty much chase symptoms. Depakote didn't work, by the way. I don't know, I'm just in search for answers mode, you know? It's the cyclical nature of it that makes me wonder. But depression is cyclical too. I was on Lamictal once too, but it was kind of a low dose and I was kind of in critical condition at the time.

That's for the reply. My shrink is getting a knee replacement, so I won't see him for a while. The nerve...
Bookmark and Share