Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Dizzy looking in mirror  (Read 134 times)

Offline Natsab87

• Rec's: 2
    • Poke This Member
Dizzy looking in mirror
« on: August 25, 2014, 02:39:20 PM »
Does anyone else experience dizziness looking in the mirror? Just lately I'm feeling disorientated looking in the mirror and if I see lots of stripes together or spots my eyes feel weird. Eye test six months ago was fine as was brain MRI and ct but I'm scared something has developed...

Help ;-(
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Dizzy looking in mirror
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 02:44:53 PM »
you are having symptom after symptom and weird sensation after weird sensation because you are living anxiously ---even when you don't consciously feel that you are).  that is what anxiety does to people.

what are you doing daily to working on your anxious thinking?  what is working? what isn't?   Realize you could be doing all kinds of good stuff (proactive)---therapy, meds (for some), hobbies, community service, exercise, yoga, meditation, to name just a few   But, if you are also sneaking in the bad stuff (reactive behaviors)--- seeking reassurance endlessly, googling, monitoring your body, self-checking, self testing, obsessing....,  you pretty much make it IMPOSSIBLE for the good stuff to get a good foothold
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Natsab87

• Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »
Thanks for your reply! I know this but I'm really struggling. I tried cbt which didn't work and I'd like to try meds but I'm not sure what to try? Any recommendations? I just feel like I need some help as it's been 9 months now and it's not getting better!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 03:43:29 PM »
I hear people say cbt or therapy didn't work.  why do you think that is?

as an aside:  I have two bros in law who are shrinks--one a clinical psychologist and the other a psychiatrist--

one is fond of saying:  if the therapist is working harder than the client, then therapy fails.

regarding meds:  there are many kinds.  you could ask your gp, but, imo, it would be better to ask a psy md.  or ask the psychologist who works with a prescribing psy md for recs.  Different SSRIs work better on some people than others.  it is an individual thing.

as mentioned in previous post, you need to do proactive things rather than the reactive stuff
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline etethorpe

• Rec's: 4
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
Hi, any chance you are a migraine sufferer?  I suffer from the same kind of issues as you only to a much more severe degree.  Stripes really do me in, especially if they move.  And mirrors, ugh, if someone happens to move the mirror while I am looking in it I get a horrible feeling of motion sickness, nausea and dizziness.

So what does this have to do with migraine?  I also suffer from motion intolerance and severe vertigo (room spinning, can't walk or even move, goes on until my meds kick in, up to 3-4 hours or so), among other things.  I have been told I have vestibular migraine (also know as migraine associated vertigo).  In all of this I have learned a lot about migraines and how they show up.  Your symptoms, while not life threatenting at all, are nevertheless very disturbing to you.  And they are in fact some of the many ways migaines can show up.  People generally think of migraines as a bad headache, but there are so many more symptoms and a good number of them are visual, just as you are experiencing.  It may be worth it to look into this a little more just to see if it fits where you are.  I belong to a  vestibular migraine board and while a good number of people to sufffer vertigo there, there also are many who do not but rather suffer from a chronic migraine which manifests in visual and motion disturbances.

So if you are a migraine sufferer you may want to look at this as an extension of your migraines. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline Hypokondriak

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 07:28:11 PM »
I always thought a good way to help is to get busy doing something like cut grass or hang out with people, and if you notice after that you didn't feel anxious...than your physical symptoms are just anxiety. Dizziness is normal because you are overworking yourself.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 07:40:38 PM »
I hear when you don't see a reflection in the mirror, is when you should worry the most. LOL. j/k  :bigsmile:
Bookmark and Share

Offline Natsab87

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 04:46:34 AM »
Thanks all for your kind replies!

SIXPACK I felt the CBT didn't work because I knew what she was telling me was right but putting it into practice seemed impossible. She'd make me do weird things like explain an object in the room in full detail to see if my phobia/negative thought/anxiety dissappeared for that time I was thinking of the object but it just felt silly and I know she was trying to work on ways for me to distract myself but I am very stubborn and my negative thoughts seem cemented in my brain! My boyfriend says not to be so tough on myself but I just can't seem to relax and focus on happy thoughts...

ETETHORPE I have suffered migraines as a child, only a few and they consisted of tunnel vision, trouble findings words or talking rubbish and then a severe headache but that was at least 8 years ago. I did stop my contraceptive pill a month ago after being on it for 10 years and I think this might be causing said migraines. My mum and her mum suffer from them too. I did think it might be a migraine and it definitely feels like you described and vertigo like too. I just didn't expect a migraine to last this long. The headache isn't always unberable, just present but the mirror thing is just odd and makes me feel off balance. We recently moved so the mirror was in a new place and I wondered if this was why but I can't see how that would be the case.

I was wearing some spotty pyjamas and noticed them making my eyes feel weird kind of out of the corner of my eye. The diziness happens randomly when standing at the sink I feel like I am swaying or looking in the fridge. Also for the last two days my ears feel odd, like I'll go deaf in one ear all of a sudden and hear a slight ringing so I wonder if this is vertigo associated or sinus related due to the mucus I already have in my left sinus (seen on CT scan).

I am so bored of being me and of whinging and complaining but it actually is driving me crazy and suffering in silence is surely worse!
Bookmark and Share

Offline TarheelBabe1980

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 07:50:03 AM »
Yeh definitely sounds like migraine associated vertigo
Bookmark and Share

Tags: