Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: ALS.. Someone with facts please help...  (Read 375 times)

Offline Needsomepeace

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
ALS.. Someone with facts please help...
« on: August 25, 2014, 01:18:27 PM »
Ok.. So in april i started getting weird symptoms, pins and needles, numbness, weakness, aching body, joint pain, and i thought i has MS or ALS. I Was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid). Started taking levothyroxine and in about 6 weeks i felt back to normal, i felt fine for about just over 2 months, but now my symptoms have come back. The same weak feeling but not actually any weaker in my left thumb, a dull tingling on top of my left foot. Twitching in my left thumb. I can grip and squeeze both hands as hard as the other, it just feels weaker in itself... Like it feels like it has unpainful cramp if you know what i mean. Ache in my chest and back.
Well do early ALS symptoms come and go. Or is this all thyroid related.
Please someone who knows the facts help. I keep getting mixed answers :(
Thankyou x
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
Re: ALS.. Someone with facts please help...
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:39:21 PM »
A "weak feeling" is psychological, not neurological. People with ALS don't just feel like their hands might be weaker - they physically don't have the strength or dexterity to button their shirts. Your feelings could be related to your thyroid or just plain anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Offline cali4niay

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:52:16 PM »
Anything that you feel, leads you away from an ALS diagnosis.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Needsomepeace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 01:56:45 PM »
And do their symptoms come and go or is it once they start getting them they stay no matter what? It feels like there is pressure on my fingers, like a weird cramp. And my shoulder was aching first. Its all just so strange... My doctor said it could be carpal tunnel maybe?
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:03:24 PM »
To answer that is tricky. It CAN come and go, often it does not. Either way you don't have it. Anxiety can cause everything you're experiencing.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 02:04:39 PM »
FACT: You have a .002% chance of getting this during your lifetime. That's 2 for every 100,000
FACT: Odds of being the victim of serious crime in your lifetime: 1 in 20
FACT: Odds of finding a four-leaf clover on first try: 1 in 10,000
FACT: You stand a better chance of getting a hole in one playing golf 1 in 12,500 than getting ALS
FACT: You stand a better chance of being seriously injured or dying from slipping in the shower 1 in 2,232 than getting ALS
FACT: Odds of having your identity stolen 1 in 200
FACT: You have a 1 in 25 chance of getting hemorrhoids (what a PITA!)

Etc., etc., etc., etc....

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 02:05:25 PM »
ALS symptoms are progressive - a single symptom may come and go, but overall symptoms build quickly. Nothing you've mentioned sounds like ALS. Stop watching the bucket challenge videos.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Needsomepeace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 02:43:51 PM »
Thanks for taking the time to reply everybody, i actually had the ALS worry back in april when the symptoms started, long before the ice bucket challenge, why do my symptoms on google point to ALS? Sort of feels like i have someone gently holding my thumb even though there isnt. Like there is a hold on it. Could this just be carpal tunnel. I know how annoying it is when people go on about something they think they might have and youre trying to reassure them they dont, but if u suffer from anxiety youll know it isnt so easy to switch off the intruding thoughts. I told my doctor i thought i had ALS and he told me to squeeze his hands and he done a couple of simple things like that and he promised me i didnt have ALS or MS... I think it was the lack of tests that made me not completely accept it. All my symptoms completely went for about 2 months. So does that make it even more unlikely to be something like MS or ALS.
THanks again for the replies everyone :)
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 02:55:20 PM »
Another common feature, other than not being able to "switch it off",  is believing that medical tests fix the thinking disorder.

Even if you had a full ALS work up you would still be having issues.  Med testing doesn't solve anxiety disorders. It is not a valid coping mechanism.   All med testing does for HA  is 1. the ha peep just discounts the test, finds fault how the test was wrong, OR 2. the ha peep just moves along to an new health fear that wasn't 'covered' by the previous testing.    You can see evidence of this daily by reading posts. 

You don't have ALS.  You have a snotty BEASTY (anxious irrational thinking) whispering (or maybe shouting) all kinds of trash in your ear.

if you are unaware of what anxiety/stress can do to your body, click my username.  my profile has 4 links.  the third one is a list of common anxiety symptoms.  the other three links are posts of mine about what i think of anxiety and how it affects people.  Read the comments after the OP.  there is some good discussion between members.   I am not an anxiety guru.  I have, however, been where you are now.  I have also been a member here 5+ yrs and I see how anxiety plays out here daily. 
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline bearsfb66

• Rec's: 3
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2014, 04:26:50 PM »
First off I want to say I'm sorry your going through this right now. Second I want to let you know I also am going through my ALS scare. But, one thing I have is I have health anxiety and have been diagnosed with HA for years. Just a few months back I feared I had leukemia due to several CBC results with a low WBC and neutrophil. My OCD with HA caused me  self check my symptoms of ALL and AML all the time including taking my temperature every hour. To get back on topic you wanted some facts here I go. I want you to stop with the ALS posts and forum searching for your current symptoms to confirm ALS and look at something else. I want you to look up the affects of the "Fight or Flight Response" and the Systematic nervous system. You will see that the Fight or Flight Response causes a hormonal dump into your body to prepare you for fighting or running. Some affects can cause increased blood pressure, increased pulse, muscle tremors, muscle twitching, muscle fatigue, and muscle cramping. All due to the extended dump of hormones into our body.

One of the best thing I am currently doing for myself is making a list of my symptoms and going down the list of symptoms from anxiety and guess what........They all fit. Being HA people we ALWAYS go to a terminal disease that is rare and focus on two or three symptoms instead of the most likely source of anxiety. Until you conquer your thought process your symptoms won't go away. My friend stop looking at ALS for the biggest reason, every post or story on someone with ALS every single one of them didn't have the "I think I have it" or "I saw 5 doctors and all said I didn't have ALS." It was suspected from their first appointment and the symptoms were proof beyond a reasonable doubt that "Houston we have a problem!" I too have my fears but I also got to look at with my twitching and cramping and fears I have HA, low sleep, use of too much caffeine, and I am a weight lifter. All of which far out weighs ALS for the reasons for my muscle issues. I will have a new disease to worry about soon because that is how my brain has worked for 25 years. For me I am deciding to try cognitive behavioral therapy as a response to my issues.

BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT YOU DON'T HAVE ALS!!!!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2014, 04:31:52 PM »
There was no lack of tests on your doctor's part - the intro tests for ALS are just very simple. You didn't show any weakness, nor did you describe symptoms consistent with ALS, so you passed.  And the fact that you've failed to show any weakness since April is even more proof that this is in your head.

People with ALS don't "feel like someone has a hold on" their thumb - they're physically unable to use their thumb.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Needsomepeace

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 04:49:02 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I feel terrible for the people who actually have it and then there's me convincing myself I do. I keep thinking I'm going to lose the use of my thumb. I know it could all just be HA but my brain won't believe that because iv had HA since I was 8 and these are new very real symptoms. I guess I will just have to try to keep busy and keep my mind off it. I guess we are all in the same boat that's why we are here. I hope we find some peace soon, because a life like this is just... hard
Bookmark and Share