Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Any suggestions?  (Read 127 times)

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
  • Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
Any suggestions?
« on: August 25, 2014, 01:11:22 PM »
I am not getting the help I need for my panic disorder and agoraphobia. My psychiatrist keeps telling me to take pills that I am uncomfortable with and my therapist, who is supposed to be working on CBT with me, pretty much just talks to me like a friend. It's seriously like chatting on the phone with a friend. Even after I've expressed this to my therapist and she said that her role in my CBT is to reinforce me taking my pills from my therapist and keep telling me to expose myself then she starts chatting with me. That doesn't seem like CBT to me. From what I've read anyway. I live in a very small town with very few resources and I'm not sure what to do. My agoraphobia prevents me from leaving my town, and limits my movement within my town severely, I need help but I don't know how to get it and where. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any ligit online courses or sites that would help me? A couple of my regular doctors think my anxiety and agoraphobia could be being severely aggravated by either a severe hormonal imbalance or by the rheumatic disorder I have that they have yet to figure out specifically what it is. I feel very lost and hopeless about it all and honestly I have not been functioning very well for the last couple weeks. My stress has increased significantly, things are very unstable in my life, I haven't had a job since April and there have been a couple new things added to my daily life that do not make this any easier. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I just can't seem to get anyone here to listen or help me and I'm beginning to think this is going to be my life forever  :(
Bookmark and Share
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Never-Quit

• Pay It Forward ! and Be a Blessing to others !
  • Rec's: 19
  • Mood: Happy
    Happy
  • Overcomer by God's Grace- Panic/Anxiety/OCD
    • Poke This Member
Re: Any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 08:41:05 PM »
I am not getting the help I need for my panic disorder and agoraphobia. My psychiatrist keeps telling me to take pills that I am uncomfortable with and my therapist, who is supposed to be working on CBT with me, pretty much just talks to me like a friend. It's seriously like chatting on the phone with a friend. Even after I've expressed this to my therapist and she said that her role in my CBT is to reinforce me taking my pills from my therapist and keep telling me to expose myself then she starts chatting with me. That doesn't seem like CBT to me. From what I've read anyway. I live in a very small town with very few resources and I'm not sure what to do. My agoraphobia prevents me from leaving my town, and limits my movement within my town severely, I need help but I don't know how to get it and where. Does anyone have any suggestions or know of any ligit online courses or sites that would help me? A couple of my regular doctors think my anxiety and agoraphobia could be being severely aggravated by either a severe hormonal imbalance or by the rheumatic disorder I have that they have yet to figure out specifically what it is. I feel very lost and hopeless about it all and honestly I have not been functioning very well for the last couple weeks. My stress has increased significantly, things are very unstable in my life, I haven't had a job since April and there have been a couple new things added to my daily life that do not make this any easier. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I just can't seem to get anyone here to listen or help me and I'm beginning to think this is going to be my life forever  :(

It is tough situation to be in, I avoided all prescription medications for about 10 years, after very limited progress, I decided to learn all I could about the medication, the side-effects, addiction and or dependence and any long term effects all scared me to death and this back in 1979. 

After a decade of not getting real progress, I have had great success with many types of medication that were never available before.  But, this was only after, I felt comfortable.

As a rule, if you don't feel comfortable, I would learn more about it, and then make an educated decision, whether medication is right for you.  As a general rule, I believe NO ONE wants to rely on medications, but this might be very effective tool in the battle of "Anxiety Disease" - if your anxiety is due a CHEMICAL IMBALANCE in the brain's chemistry, as was the case for me. 

It appears that most research (including my own experience) is concluding that the vast majority of Panic Attacks are BIOLOGICAL and not psychological, which means “It is not your fault, you have this…”. 

Now, the big issue I had, was doctors were throwing pills at me, without explaining what is the purpose of these medications and how do they work? - why I couldn't just THINK my way out of this - thank God for new research and medical technology!

I traced my anxiety to biological issue, that it itself, made complete sense, -I had panic disorder before in 1979, long before the Mental Profession recognized as a mental "Panic Disorder" and long before Prozac was developed). 

At that time, the Psychiatric profession believed that almost all anxiety was Psychologically based.  (very similar to 1950's and 70's debate that believed that PMS was is all in women’s minds as opposed to their endocrinology.)  Thanks God for Science! 

Since, everyone is unique, everyone will experience a little differently, for example we now know that "Panic Disorder" and "OCD" is primarily first a biological problem, now tracked down to genetics and heredity and not completely "Psychological" as it was once believed.  Research has found strong familial links, suggesting that having a close biological family member with panic disorder puts one at greater risk for developing this condition.

With this empowering understanding comes the Power to Take Control of Your Life and get the treatment you need.  That’s why when people would tell me “Ah…Come on Just Snap Out of It!!” – Never worked for me, It just made me feel worst and destroying whatever self-esteem I had left!.

Panic attacks were once dismissed as nerves or stress, but they're now recognized as a real medical condition.
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/panic-attacks/basics/definition/con-20020825

Panic disorder affects about 6 million American adults and is twice as common in women as men. Panic attacks often begin in late adolescence or early adulthood, ….. The tendency to develop panic attacks appears to be inherited.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/conditions/panic-disorder

Research has found strong familial links, suggesting that having a close biological family member with panic disorder puts one at greater risk for developing this condition.
http://panicdisorder.about.com/od/faq1/a/What-Is-Panic-Disorder.htm

Panic disorder has been shown to run in families. It may be passed on to some people by one or both parent(s) much like hair or eye color can.
http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/mental-health-panic-disorder

On the CBT front, there are many great programs, but there are none I have personally taken that I could honestly recommend, maybe we have members here, that have had personal success with a specific program.  (You might want to create a post "Does anyone know of a Good CBT Course?) - this will get the inputs from people who have had success.

I have successfully used self-hypnosis and NLP phobia cures, but it was only partially effective.

Today we have some great tools - I just want you feel hopeful that indeed you have a bright future - and this is only a "speed bump" - you have a bright future ahead  :nature-smiley-016:

Feel free to ask any questions and never settle - stay strong, take control of your life and we are here to support you :action-smiley-065:
Bookmark and Share
Never, never, never give up. -Winston Churchill

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."   ~ John Wooden

Offline Tiffannyb123

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 09:49:31 PM »
I am so sorry you are not receiving the appropriate psychological care you need and deserve!  My therapist doesn't even want me on meds unless I want to be on them. If CBT is preformed properly, it can really help. Having the right therapist is key. I hope and pray that you get the help you deserve:)
Bookmark and Share

Offline vbx

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 10:59:20 PM »
I manage to overcome my panic and anxiety disorder just by reading stuff over the internet.  It's all about baby steps.

I use to be afraid to step out the house, drive around the block, etc etc.

I started by just getting into my car and driving around the block.  Going further and further each week.   In about 3 months, I was able to force myself to drive 30mins to get free CBT at a hospital at Newport Beach.   The scenery was beautiful.  Finally saw the beach in like how long? LOL

Sadly, it didn't work out, as my therapist made me feel like total garbage. She thought I was faking it for attention, or that I was lazy and didn't want to land a job. etc etc.

Fortunately, forcing myself to drive all the way over there once a week for about 2 months actually was more help than the "therapy itself".

And you are talking to a guy who left the shopping cart at the groceries 2 times because I thought I was going to faint.

I manage to do a lot of research online about CBT, panic attacks and how everything that goes on in our mind is just a trick.  Once you overcome this trick, you can free yourself of this debilitating and horrible disorder.

Bookmark and Share

Offline NovocaineKisses

• Trix
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Plot Twist!
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 09:44:13 PM »
Thank you for your responses! I hate being like this and the fact that I feel I'm making no progress really brings me down. I'm trying to stay more positive and I'm working on a lot of things by myself the last few days. I guess I really just need to redirect my negative thought patterns more than I do and try harder to work through my panic attacks. I've got a plan and I've made my own recovery plan in the last couple days so hopefully it will start helping. It's always good to know that there are other people out there to talk to and that have suggestions and know what 'm going through. It makes me feel less alone in my struggles :)
Bookmark and Share
“It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Tiffannyb123

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 10:53:02 AM »
Hope and Help for your Nerves by Claire Weekes is an awesome book to read. I read it in like one day. And I do not believe you are getting appropriate CBT either. Can you find be referred to a new therapist?  Sometimes the first or the second one you get paired with will not be the right one for you. CBT is not just talk therapy. I hope you can get the correct psychological help:) When that happens, I think you'll be able to make a better decision on the meds.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: