Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I have an infection. So scared  (Read 155 times)

Offline AnxietyGirl24

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I have an infection. So scared
« on: August 25, 2014, 12:25:50 PM »
So I'm 17 weeks pregnant. Dr called and said I have a vaginal bacterial infection (bv).  She prescribed clindamycin.  I'm not really scared about taking the antibiotics.  What I'm scared of is the infection hurting my baby.  The specific bacteria that I have is ureaplasma.  I posted on another forum and 2 drs said it can cause birth defects (blindness, mental retardation etc).  I'm so scared.  My ob's nurse said it's nothing to be concerned about, but what if she just says that to everyone because why would she want to freak me out?  Omg.  I'm about to have a panic attack.. ..
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
Re: I have an infection. So scared
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:21:55 PM »
Congratulations on the pregnancy!  I can't help a lot with info on the infection except to say that the doctors speaking about this infection probably aren't talking about women who were quickly treated - only the untreated women. If you don't get a definitive answer here, I recommend posting on one of the big pregnancy sites. They're packed with women who've been through or who are going through the same thing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:26:38 PM »
You have nothing to be concerned about. The whole reason you're on antibiotics is to stop the infection from getting bad. The antibiotics themselves are quite harmless too. If you leave it untreated, however, the chance that theres complications becomes quite high.

And I should know. I study microbiology.
Bookmark and Share

Offline PantsyAntsy

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 02:14:38 PM »
I'm sorry. pregnancy is very anxiety inducing. I definitely got infections that posed risk to my baby, and she's a haapy, healthy, perfect little monkey in my arms right now. Your infection is being treated and your little will be okay!
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 02:34:33 PM »
False positives with ureaplasma tests are extremely common.  You may not even have it.  Just take your antibiotics just in case and you'll be fine.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: