Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Worried about MS  (Read 165 times)

Offline lilsweety3926

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Worried about MS
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:53:47 AM »
Hi everyone,

For the past 3 days I have had an odd sensation on the tip of my nose. It feels like something is on it like a hair or something but nothing is there. It is really annoying, but not painful. I googled this and of course panic ensued b/c Multiple Sclerosis came up as a possibility.

I had an MRI done 8 months ago due to a headache problem and this came back unremarkable. IDK if MS would have shown on that MRI or if it could have developed after in the past 8 months. Also about 10 days ago I was laying down and my fiancÚ lifted me up and my back made a painful crack. I have had no back pain since, just was considering nerve damage or something.

Does this sensation sound like MS? Please help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried about MS
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 02:03:16 PM »
So I Googled "sensation tip of nose hair" and the only website I got that connected that with MS was a forum in which someone  asked if it was a symptom and the people who had MS called the poster a hypochondriac. So I'm assuming that "Multiple Sclerosis came up as a possibility" during your search because you Googled "tip of nose sensation hair" AND "MS" and kept digging until you'd found the scant "proof" you were looking for.

So let's examine the facts: You have no real symptoms; you had a clean MRI 8 months ago; the sensation you felt is something probably everyone has felt (especially those of us with allergies), and the only proof you have that it's MS-related is one person on a web forum saying they've had that sensation. (Keeping in mind: If most people feel that sensation from time to time, it stands to reason that people with MS have felt it, too.) 

So what's your diagnosis, doctor?  Mine is: You don't have MS. You DO have a very serious case of HA, which you need to manage, ideally with exercise, cognitive behavioral techniques, and a complete cessation of all Googling. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 02:37:41 PM »
So I Googled "sensation tip of nose hair" and the only website I got that connected that with MS was a forum in which someone  asked if it was a symptom and the people who had MS called the poster a hypochondriac. So I'm assuming that "Multiple Sclerosis came up as a possibility" during your search because you Googled "tip of nose sensation hair" AND "MS" and kept digging until you'd found the scant "proof" you were looking for.

So let's examine the facts: You have no real symptoms; you had a clean MRI 8 months ago; the sensation you felt is something probably everyone has felt (especially those of us with allergies), and the only proof you have that it's MS-related is one person on a web forum saying they've had that sensation. (Keeping in mind: If most people feel that sensation from time to time, it stands to reason that people with MS have felt it, too.) 

So what's your diagnosis, doctor?  Mine is: You don't have MS. You DO have a very serious case of HA, which you need to manage, ideally with exercise, cognitive behavioral techniques, and a complete cessation of all Googling.

wow, slangevar has nailed it.   no pulling the punches with this post   ;D .    and that is a good thing, btw.

lilsweety--- the case you present for you having MS is weak.  I agree with slang.  it seems much more likely this is your BEASTY (anxious thinking)  adding 2+2 and getting 5.

what are you doing daily to working on your anxious thinking?  what is working? what isn't?   Realize you could be doing all kinds of good stuff (proactive)---therapy, meds (for some), hobbies, community service, exercise, yoga, meditation, to name just a few   But, if you are also sneaking in the bad stuff (reactive behaviors)--- seeking reassurance endlessly, googling, monitoring your body, self-checking, self testing, obsessing....,  you pretty much make it IMPOSSIBLE for the good stuff to get a good foothold.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 02:54:48 PM »
(You are such a great, pragmatic good cop, Sixpack. Apparently I woke up on the snarky side of the bed.)   :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Offline lilsweety3926

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »
Thanks you two.  The problem with me is I usually don't feel relieved until whatever bodily sensation I am experiencing goes away.  I will try to stop fearing MS, however I may keep worrying until my nose stops tickling.  I realize how dumb it sounds and most of the time when I have an episode of panic over something health related I often look back and think to myself wow... really?!. 

Sixpack- to answer your question I have tried therapy before (for 6 months at which point my therapist told me she though I could stop coming).  I also try to distract myself.  I went to school for counseling and I understand anxiety pretty well, despite this I cant seem to get over mine.  I am 26 and I feel like I have been this way my whole adult life.  Sigh, I wish things were different but I will keep trying to overcome it.  Thanks. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline lilsweety3926

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 10:58:17 AM »
I would also like to ask fellow readers if they have ever had a similar anxiety or otherwise provoked sensation that has just gone away on its own? 

Thank you all!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: