Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Girlfriend in the hospital... Worried sick  (Read 411 times)

Offline shellofabody

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Girlfriend in the hospital... Worried sick
« on: August 25, 2014, 12:10:14 AM »
I wasn't really sure to post this, but I guess it could be considered health anxiety, just for a different person...
Earlier today, I was on a bike ride with my girlfriend (just bicycles). We weren't wearing helmets. She crashed behind me and I didn't realize it for a few seconds, but when I looked back, she was laying in the road convulsing. I believe she had a seizure. We immediately got help and an ambulance came shortly. They did ct scans and X-rays, and insist that nothing is wrong with her head.
But I still can't get the image of what happened out of my head. It was like a nightmare, and I literally thought she was dying. I'm terrified of going to sleep tonight because there may be something wrong and I'll get a call saying the scans were off. I'm also terrified her seizures may continue. Has anyone else experienced or know anyone who experienced this type of head injury? If so please reply... Thank you
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
Re: Girlfriend in the hospital... Worried sick
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 12:54:41 AM »
I'm so sorry this happened - what a trauma for both of you. It sounds like you handled it perfectly - if they gave her a CT scan, they should have seen signs of a bad concussion if it was there.

At this point, read this: http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Head_injury_home_care_tips

And follow those instructions. Someone should watch her for the next couple of days, but it sounds like she'll be okay. (My husband had a mild concussion once, btw, and he was fine. We just followed these instructions.)
Bookmark and Share

Offline shellofabody

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 03:33:45 PM »
At this point she's alright, but what I saw is still haunting me. I really thought she was dead, I'd consider that the worst moment of my life. I can't think about her without seeing it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 03:50:40 PM »
It'll fade, I promise. I once saw a guy die in front of me after being hit by a car... it was awful. (I only looked because it happened at night outside my office, and I knew a bunch of coworkers were working late on no sleep.)  I thought about it constantly for a few days. Then it would pop up every once in a while. Now I can barely remember it.

Same thing with my dad. He passed away peacefully in front of our family, but I made the mistake of looking back at him just before the coroner came to take him away. For a while that image popped up whenever I thought of him. But now I can't remember it to save my life.

The mind is amazing at erasing past trauma and moving on. Just trust that it will happen and try to do some fun things with your girlfriend to move past it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 05:06:48 PM »
just a question, please don't read anything into it  :winking0008:

did she just have a crash on the bike--ie hit something that made her fall --- or did the convulsions come first?

does your girlfriend know what caused her to fall?

If she had a ct scan, though, and they came back clean, she doesn't have a head injury.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 08:09:08 PM »
Actually that's not necessarily the case. You can have a clean CT but still have a concussion and a myriad of symptoms to go with them. It's really a watch and see approach. CTs do a really good job of ruling out bleeds, not 100 % but pretty rate for them to be missed.

That does sound like a terrifying experience! I'm sorry you and your girlfriend are going through this! Is she in the hospital still or did she get discharged? Best of luck!
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 08:18:09 PM »
Actually that's not necessarily the case. You can have a clean CT but still have a concussion and a myriad of symptoms to go with them. It's really a watch and see approach. CTs do a really good job of ruling out bleeds, not 100 % but pretty rate for them to be missed.

That does sound like a terrifying experience! I'm sorry you and your girlfriend are going through this! Is she in the hospital still or did she get discharged? Best of luck!

right on the brain bleed/fractures etc.   when my daughter fell and cracked her head open, she needed stitches but ct scan was clean for skull fracture and brain bleed.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline shellofabody

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 09:23:57 PM »
She was discharged later the same night. They didn't think she even had a concussion. And the convulsions came after the crash, I didn't see it happen but she fell of behind me and obviously hit her head, and that's when I noticed her having a seizure. It was pretty scary, I honestly thought she was really messed up. I've just never heard of a seizure coming out of hitting your head without a concussion. I'm also really afraid she could have one again. I don't think I could handle seeing that again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 09:45:32 PM »
oh okay.

my daughter has seizures.  I was just curious to know which came first for your gf.
Bookmark and Share

Offline shellofabody

Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 08:03:26 AM »
I'm not even so sure it was an actual seizure, isn't there some sort of convulsive episodes that can be set off immediately after a head injury?
Also, with my anxiety and depression I was insanely stressed the moment I found her and I still am. I don't even feel like I'm ready to see her again yet, it's really bothering me. A combination of what I saw and the guilt.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 08:45:21 AM »
I'm not even so sure it was an actual seizure, isn't there some sort of convulsive episodes that can be set off immediately after a head injury?
Also, with my anxiety and depression I was insanely stressed the moment I found her and I still am. I don't even feel like I'm ready to see her again yet, it's really bothering me. A combination of what I saw and the guilt.

personally I don't think a fall and a knock to the head would cause a seizure UNLESS it was a serious head injury.  According to the tests and what the doctor said, it wasn't a serious head injury.  That seems evident since she was not even held over for observation.

so that is rather the reason I asked about what caused the fall.  did she hit something in the road that caused it or did a seizure cause the fall?  AND is she aware of why she fell? By that, I mean, can she tell you she swerved or hit a rock or rut in the road?   Then there is the question of what you actually saw?  Was it really a seizure/convulsion or was that just your perception of it?   It is possible that she fainted and was starting rouse when you looked back, for instance.  I see seizures all of the time with my daughter--different types of seizures too-- so I would be confident if I saw one.  some folks, who haven't seen seizures before, may not know. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline ceh1354

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Loved
    Loved
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 09:55:16 AM »
Sorry about what happened. I know that was a horrific thing to witness, as it has happened to me too. Well, something similar:

My daughter was 3 and she once was walking a bit too close to the swings at a park and the when the person swung back, they slammed into her and sent her flying and she landed on her back. I saw it happen, I was pretty close by, and ran over to her. I did the absolute wrong thing and grabbed her in my arms. She tried to scream, opened her mouth and no sound came out. That terrified me. Then her eyes rolled back and she had a look I had never seen her have before.
One of my friends was at the park as well and was an ER nurse, so I immediately ran to her with my daughter in my arms. She took one look and said "just hold her, she's having a seizure". I was flipped, but tried to stay calm. It only lasted several seconds and then she came to.
My friend called the hospital she worked at for us to immediately come in for a CT. Turns out she was fine, no damage to her brain at all.
So I think it is possible for this to happen.
Wishing the best for your GF and you.
Bookmark and Share
Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devilís schemes. Ephesians 6:11

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 10:47:12 AM »
I can imagine how scary this is for you. You were not at fault for her injury. I understand that it can be difficult to see her with your stress but I encourage you to do so, you can support each other. And please encourage her to follow up with her primary care doctor in a few days for a follow up evaluation. Keep us updated.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

Thoughtful
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 12:17:11 PM »
My daughter was 3 and she once was walking a bit too close to the swings at a park and the when the person swung back, they slammed into her and sent her flying and she landed on her back. I saw it happen, I was pretty close by, and ran over to her. I did the absolute wrong thing and grabbed her in my arms. She tried to scream, opened her mouth and no sound came out. That terrified me. Then her eyes rolled back and she had a look I had never seen her have before.
One of my friends was at the park as well and was an ER nurse, so I immediately ran to her with my daughter in my arms. She took one look and said "just hold her, she's having a seizure". I was flipped, but tried to stay calm. It only lasted several seconds and then she came to.

interesting

Bookmark and Share