Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Is it als or my mind?  (Read 105 times)

Offline Livyroro

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Is it als or my mind?
« on: August 24, 2014, 10:50:21 PM »
Hi, so this is my first post on here..I'm 14, have had hypochondria for a few years, and today I convinced myself that I'm suffering from the early symptoms of ALS.

It all happened today, like I said. So yesterday I was curious about ALS because of the ice challenge. I looked it up and I read up on all the symptoms. Today I was barefoot in the grass, and I tripped twice. My muscles feel fatigued. My hands don't feel like they're working correctly. After all this I started to get really worried. For a few months I've had this thumping when I swallow, which didn't concern me that much until I realized that clicking when swallowing was a symptom. I also kinda choked on a piece of bread.

So this is all so ridiculous and inside I know that, I did what my counselor told me and asked myself if I hadn't heard of ALS and didn't know the symptoms, would I think anything is wrong? I answered a weak no. Because I'm me every ache and pain is cancer.

I did my usual googling (i know its terrible) and found the ALS forums. I found that 'muscle weakness' means the inability to perform a certain task, not perceived weakness. Having trouble swallowing is choking on almost all food and not being able to drink, vs the occasional choke.

And after reading this, do I feel better? No.

I know I'm insane but the idea of the disease is so scary and I'm only 14, I just want a life.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 9
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is it als or my mind?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 09:55:07 AM »
. . . You are aware that you're 14, right? This is ludicrous. You're fine.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Is it als or my mind?
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 10:22:07 AM »
you don't have ALS.

you have an anxiety disorder that has you jumping through its hoops.   Just because something is scary doesn't mean you are going to get it or will EVER get it.

You are 14.  there are a lot of things you are going to learn about, some will be scary.  Scary doesn't mean Livyroro will get it.

so kick the idea of als to the curb and tell your anxious thinking, "nice try"  and move on.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: ALS