Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: I don't know what to do anymore.  (Read 177 times)

Offline ElizabethA103

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
I don't know what to do anymore.
« on: August 24, 2014, 07:43:05 PM »
Hello this is a probably a tad bit unrelated but it does relate to me constantly worrying about my health. I'm fourteen and my dad has custody of me since my parents are divorced… Everyone in my family (Dad, Brother, Me) are very distant from my mother cause she tends to cause problems. Recently my mom and dad got into a big argument and to get back at him.. She got rid of his insurance and my insurance so now no more Doctor visits and counseling for me when I need it :( I worry too much about my health and I constantly need someone to talk to because i'm also lonely  :traurig001: What should i do? Plus my old counselor, which I was very close to, moved to another place and I can't talk to her anymore. I got switched to a new one but I'm gonna have no insurance in a month.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
Re: I don't know what to do anymore.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 08:19:38 PM »
I'm so sorry, Elizabeth - it's really unfair what they're doing to you. Parents should never involve their children in their fights - it's not your fault and you don't deserve to suffer because of it.

Now - obviously you need insurance. Since your insurance was recently cancelled, your dad is eligible to apply for health insurance coverage under the ACA (Obamacare). Here is Arizona's page: http://www.azinsurance.gov/aca/index.html

They have counselors who can help him figure out which plans work best for you. If he doesn't make a lot of money, the plans may even be free. But he needs to sign up ASAP so there's no a gap in your insurance.

If your father is somewhere in the middle (if he makes too much for Medicaid, but too little to afford a decent plan), then someone needs to get in touch with your mother, tell her that it's illegal for her to leave you without insurance, and add you back on her plan.

Good luck and let us know if you need more help!
Bookmark and Share

Offline potternut

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Scared
    Scared
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 08:51:21 PM »
Hi Elizabeth,

Is there a counselor or teacher at your school that you can talk to?  It might feel a little weird at first but try to find one adult that you can speak with.
Bookmark and Share
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Offline ElizabethA103

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 09:57:12 PM »
Thank you Slangevar  :yes: you're really helpful and I'll try before it expires… my dad is going tomorrow. Potternut, yes there is but I feel like it's too personal to talk to one at school… plus the sessions at my counseling place are an hour… I wouldn't have much time with the one at school.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 29
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 01:07:52 AM »
That's great news about your dad. Many of the insurance counselors can be reached by phone, btw, so he doesn't have to go down there if he's tight on time. Let us know if he runs into any problems.

If you qualify for Medicaid or Medicare, he can sign up at any time. If not, he has 60 days from the date your insurance was cancelled to sign up for new coverage. And the good news is that open enrollment starts October 1st, so even if he's missed the 60-day window, you won't have to wait long for coverage.

One more thing: My parents also got divorced when I was 4 years younger than you. They had a very positive divorce, but divorce  leaves scars no matter how well it's done. My sister and I went into therapy when we were your age, but neither of us thought it helped. Years later, we went into therapy as adults and it made a HUGE difference.

What I'm trying to say is: it's totally okay if you don't get counseling now. It may not even help you at this point. But you will probably have some scars and a good therapist can totally erase them.  I ultimately went to a great university, I have a great career, an amazing husband, and I'm really happy (despite some annoying health anxiety). So you're going to be okay. :-)
Bookmark and Share

Tags: