Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared of ALS! PLEASE HELP  (Read 155 times)

Offline MakC

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared of ALS! PLEASE HELP
« on: August 24, 2014, 08:13:37 AM »
Ok, so hi. I'm only 13 - so give me a break. It all started with tightness in my throat. I have health anxiety, so of course I was scared half to death. The tightness made it hard to breathe and swallow - I was severely afraid of it closing up while I was sleeping - resulting in the death of me because I wouldn't be able to breathe. After going to the doctor - she told me that there was nothing wrong and it was all anxiety. About a week later - the tightness in the throat went away - and a new symptom kicked in. Difficulty inhaling. Now this scared me even more - being the scaredy cat I am. After dealing with this for a while, I noticed that I had difficulty breathing while running - and always felt the need to clear my throat. I also felt EXTREMLY dizzy when I ran / walked really fast. I also see dark spots in my eyes - but they are not vey clear so I don't worry about that. Now were up to present day -  and I have these symptoms - inhaling troubles, dizziness, breathing while running, swallowing, twitching in he right eye (that is what caused me to worry about ALS)chest pain, dark spots in eyes, slight weakness in arms, and shaking (due to the fear of all this)

Like I said - I'm only 13 - but please don't be reluctant to help! I have just as bad anxiety as most people on here do, anxiety runs in the family, but I am affected most by it.

Back to my story, I made the HORRIBLE mistake of googling my symptoms - and this is where I found the whole ALS thing. Worst. Mistake. Ever.

Please help! I'm so scared and I never feel the same anymore - please
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 21
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of ALS! PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:01:02 AM »
Nevermind, that your case would make history but nothing about it sounds remotely like ***.  You have anxiety.  Ask your parents to get you into therapy.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 28
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of ALS! PLEASE HELP
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 01:09:33 PM »
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I've had health anxiety for as long as I can remember, so I know it runs in families. The good news is that you have access to treatments that many of us didn't have when we were your age.

Health anxiety is frequently considered a form of obsessive-compulsive disorder mixed with anxiety. Ask your parents to look for a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist in your area who ideally has experience with health anxiety. It's important to get that kind of therapist - no other therapy will help.

CBT therapists have tools and techniques that will help you retrain your mind and get control over the anxiety so you don't fall into the spiral. It doesn't take forever and it's really smart to start at your age, as your brain is still forming its pathways.

In the meantime, you don't have ALS. None of your symptoms match the early presentation of the disease, but they are a spot-on match for severe anxiety. Talk to your parents about CBT, relax, never Google symptoms, and stop watching ALS bucket challenge videos online.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: scared ALS DISEASE