Member Gallery    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: blood test ordered by doctor?!?!  (Read 866 times)

Offline marie204430

• Rec's: 7
  • Mood: Sad
    Sad
  • Trying to stop this cycle
    • Poke This Member
Re: blood test ordered by doctor?!?!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2014, 06:19:04 PM »
Do u think I should do the blood test or just forget about it?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2014, 06:33:23 PM »
My brother-in-law has spotted lymphoma before. He said when they suspect something like that, you get a battery of tests ordered at lightning speed - often same-day.

Now, I want you to think about this in a different way. Imagine one of us was posting this. This person - let's call them HAgirl - has a couple of small, movable lymph nodes that don't really seem to be growing. (One might be sore-ish, but HAgirl has been touching them non-stop.) HAgirl has had multiple blood tests, all of which turned out normal. And every doctor she's seen has said they're fine. Yet HAgirl is convinced she's right (even though she doesn't have a medical degree) and every test and doctor is wrong. 

What would you say to her? I know what the answer is, and that is what you need to say to yourself every time you start worrying. 
Something that also helps me: make two lists. In one column, write a list of probable benign causes for your symptoms (mono, cold, virus, anxiety, allergies, etc.) and then make a second list of all the reasons why you don't have lymphoma (multiple tests have ruled it out, no doctor thinks you have it, no real symptoms) and force yourself to read through them every time you feel nervous.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2014, 06:40:55 PM »
Thank you both of you. You're right...I kinda regret going today and adding this waiting game. I'm terrified.mbut I guess I'll go.
I'm afraid that they'll turn up position e. Even if they do, I guess they can be other things but I'm still terrified...he kinda rushed me out.
What if all the doctors were wrong?
I know logically they wouldn't be...but somehow I think this is fate, and this is how I will be diagnosed.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 06:51:11 PM »
Good lord... I just saw your other post (forum etiquette: do not post twice about the same issue just because you want more attention). FIVE doctors and FOUR tests have confirmed you're healthy?!

Marie - you don't have lymphoma, but you're actually not fine. You have a very serious case of health anxiety and you need to address it or it's literally going to ruin your life.

Don't say "I know... I know..." - you have to listen to this: you need counseling. Ideally, you need cognitive behavioral therapy to help you learn tools that will help you control your obsessive-compulsive anxiety in the future. You've tried to control it with medical tests and this forum - they're clearly not working because despite dozens of people telling you you're fine, you're still obsessing about it. (And you're costing genuinely sick patients important time with their doctors in the process.)

If you're in high school or college, ask to speak to a counselor for a referral, or talk to your parents about getting sessions with a cognitive behavioral therapist (CBT). A therapist who specializes in CBT and/or obsessive-compulsive disorders is crucial - a regular therapist will not be able to help you. It is literally the only way you're going to feel better.
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 07:00:45 PM »
I know I agree :( I just feel like I can't do anything about it..everyone, including ppl in real life are getting annoyed for me.
I cannot afford to see a counselor or psychiatrist right now and free ones have a year long wait! It annoys me that physical medical testing in Canada is free but anything to do with my mental state with cost me a lot of money (and most people don't get additional insurance here because they think it isn't necessary).
All I have is celexa and my doctor has told me she doesn't think I need it yet. I got the prescription from a walk in clinic.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Gomubukai

• Rec's: 14
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 07:11:43 PM »
What do you do for a living Marie?  Do you work, go to school etc?

You say that you feel like you can't do anything about it. But you are the ONLY one who can do anything about this. You have to get angry at the fact that you are feeling this way and decide that you don't want to live like this anymore. You have to FIGHT the fact that you do feel this way and rewire your thinking.  Giving up and giving in to the anxiety and panic is only going to reinforce the loop of panic and reassurance you are stuck in. It takes hard work, and mental discipline - but you can beat it. If you really, REALLY want to. 

I think at this point it's important to realise, that yes, you may not be able to get in to see a counsellor for a year, but there are still many things you could to do help yourself and your anxiety in the meantime.

You are pinning all of your hopes on this therapy, but the therapy is so far away that you have to consider other options to help yourself get better.

As I mentioned in one of your previous threads, I still highly recommend getting a hobby that you can totally immerse yourself in.  Was there anything yoy always wanted to learn as a child but never had the chance to?

You are the one who has the control over this now.  You've had the tests, MULTIPLE tests - you don't need any more.  This isn't about lymphoma, it's about your anxiety.  You have the control over how you choose to react to that.  You can either panic and reinforce the spiral of anxiety and reassurance. Or you can think to yourself. 'This is my body trying to trick me, i need to rewire my thinking.  I have had the tests, professionals tell me I'm healthy. So I will choose to be healthy.'

If you haven't already, read Pan's sticky on accepting the diagnosis.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 07:54:47 PM »
Can you ask your parents to help out with the therapy?  You don't have to go forever, but it would help to get in there soon.

Celexa might help - it seems to help people with OCD, which is probably what you're dealing with, in addition to the anxiety. But I always advocate trying therapy first.
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 16
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 08:30:50 PM »
Ask if you can make payment plans with a therapist, or see if any of them do a "sliding scale" fee. I agree with the above poster about asking your parents for help.

Talk to your doctor, primary care practitioners do have some basic psychiatric training, he certainly could get you started on anxiety medication.

Look online for free CBT worksheets. they are all over the place. message me if you need websites. I print things like these for my patients all the time. Start reading up on meditation, get a health anxiety personal workbook, these are all better than doing nothing.

Exercise exercise exercise, if you aren't you need to start. This can really help alleviate acute anxiety symptoms.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Poke This Member
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 11:48:19 PM »
I agree with everything AncientMelody said!
Bookmark and Share

Offline marie204430

Sad
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 11:29:46 AM »
Thank you everyone. I'm going to be starting university soon so I guess I can look into counselors there and am willing to do online CBT exercises in the mean time.
My parents are unfortunately, unwilling to help. I don't disagree with medication but would have liked to try seeing a therapist first. I guess I'll make a decision soon.
Thank you all very much.
I had a better night yesterday than usual and have promised I will not touch the slightly grain sized node or the pea sized one either. Hopefully things get better from here.
Bookmark and Share

Tags:

anything