Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Does anyone have 1 physical symptom they focus on  (Read 481 times)

Offline LuLu82

• Rec's: 0
    • Poke This Member
Does anyone have 1 physical symptom they focus on
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:31:21 AM »
An if you have gotten over it can you advise or tips to desensitize? 
My main symptom that starts the whole panic thing going is "jelly legs".  If i am in a grocery suddenly I will feel it and then everything starts and I have to leave.
But lately I have been hyperfocusing on it and it bothers me even if Im just at home. I can't stop focusing on it and feel like popping a pill just being in the kitchen :(
of course the more u focus worse it gets but I can't stop.
its  worse at the moment as I am trying to stay off clonazepam for a while and the withdrawal is making me obsessive and extra sensitized.

Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Does anyone have 1 physical symptom they focus on
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 03:56:13 AM »
The thing that triggered my panic disorder. One night i thought my heart was beating faster than normal, and so I went to check my pulse. But I touched my collar bone, not my neck, and felt no pulse. I freaked out in less than 3 seconds. So now I'm constantly worried my heart will stop. Because one time years ago, I touched my collar bone.

Its all so very stupid. If only it would stop.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 17
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:10:03 AM »
My only real tip is to never acknowledge that symptom. If you go and worry about it, it justifies your fear in your mind, and that just makes it worse.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Xjunkie4jesus

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 05:31:19 AM »
  :sick0002: Mine is nausea and when I even THINK a situation MIGHT be stressful and it MIGHT trigger my vomiting, I worry so much about getting sick in public that I make my stomach queasy! It USED TO BE so severe that I had to bring a bag to every appointment due to my fear of leaving home!! Thank the Lord: With better psych med management (My prescriber I have now listens and isn't afraid of Benzos), therapy and LOTS AND LOTS of prayer, I am now rarely sick!
Bookmark and Share

Offline saffron

• Dare to be different
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 02:55:57 PM »
My first panic attack happened almost 3 months ago, and I'm still not entirely sure why it happened. There's a lot of unknowns in my life right now, and I had just finished a very stressful semester of college. But anyways, because it happened when I was trying to go to sleep, I'm always the most anxious at night when I'm trying to go to sleep. I've developed this fear that something is terribly wrong, and that I'm going to die in my sleep and never wake up again. I always do wake up in the morning, but the fear never seems to go away =/ That fear of something being wrong has turned into some mild health anxiety, lately centered more around my heart. I keep feeling my pulse every few hours, just to make sure it sounds normal and constant.

But anyways, as far as getting rid of that fear, I've found that having a YouTube video on my phone playing, or even just having background noise to focus on helps. Getting more exercise during the day also helps get rid of some of that extra energy too. Just last week, I was visiting one of my friends, and we spent the whole day at an amusement park. Went on a lot of roller coasters, and walked around all day. I was so exhausted that night that I fell asleep right away ;D
Bookmark and Share

Online Tiffannyb123

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 05:15:53 PM »
Breathing:( So focused on getting a "full" breath. Only anxiety symptom I have. Consumes me all day, every day.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Eluria

• Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 02:40:29 PM »
The thing that triggered my panic disorder. One night i thought my heart was beating faster than normal, and so I went to check my pulse. But I touched my collar bone, not my neck, and felt no pulse. I freaked out in less than 3 seconds. So now I'm constantly worried my heart will stop. Because one time years ago, I touched my collar bone.

Its all so very stupid. If only it would stop.

That sounds exactly like me. I've made myself completely hysterical a few time over not being able to feel my pulse. Now I monitor it constantly, unless I am asleep.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Breathless

• Rec's: 3
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 10:50:33 PM »
Breathing:( So focused on getting a "full" breath. Only anxiety symptom I have. Consumes me all day, every day.

Same here. I feel throughout the day a sensation of breathlessness. It's air hunger, like I'm not getting air
Bookmark and Share
"Cowards die many times before their deaths;the valiant never taste of death but once. Of all the wonders that I yet have heard, it seems to me most strange that men should fear; Seeing that death, a necessary end, will come when it will come." Julius Caesar

Offline greenzebra

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 11:42:56 PM »
  :sick0002: Mine is nausea and when I even THINK a situation MIGHT be stressful and it MIGHT trigger my vomiting, I worry so much about getting sick in public that I make my stomach queasy! It USED TO BE so severe that I had to bring a bag to every appointment due to my fear of leaving home!! Thank the Lord: With better psych med management (My prescriber I have now listens and isn't afraid of Benzos), therapy and LOTS AND LOTS of prayer, I am now rarely sick!

I get the same thing, I'm glad I'm not crazy haha. Another thing lately has been a severe fear of an allergic reaction. My throat's been super tight lately because I think I'm starting to get sick, and I've been stressed so I'm tense, but after I eat I'm always afraid that my throat's actually closing. I had a panic attack over it at work earlier and it was so embarrassing.
Bookmark and Share

Offline anxan11

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 01:42:27 PM »
there are so many i focus on. but the main one is my blood pressure. my doctor says it's due to anxiety but i can't get over it. it makes we weak, then the heart rate starts going, then i'm all wound up. i had a panic attack at the doctor's office yesterday. they couldn't do an ekg because my heart was going so fast and my blood pressure was 180/110. i thought i was a goner. they didn't panic, so eventually after talking with the doctor it came down to 140/90. scary.
Bookmark and Share

Offline MeridianAD

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 06:35:23 AM »
Shaking/tremors. When I panic or have high anxiety, I shake a lot. My arms, legs, hands, chest, and jaw all quiver as if I was outside in the cold, and I can't control it, I just shake so much that it's hard to even hold a glass of water in my hand. I focus so much on this, it's the main symptom of my panic attacks... breathlessness / air hunger probably comes in at #2 and is almost as hard to ignore.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Pawed

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Confused
    Confused
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 04:37:38 AM »
For me it's my pulse. Whenever my heart beats really fast I get scared that I'll go into AF and die (which just makes everything, including my pulse, so much worse). I think I focus on it because not only is it my first symptom of impending panic, but because I once had a 'legitimate' (read: of physical origin) abnormal heart beat.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Kindra11

• Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2014, 07:38:27 PM »
I always focus on the off balance, on a boat "dizzy" feeling. It drives me crazy!! Some days are better than others but it's just as annoying!
Bookmark and Share
Broken, But Not Destroyed

Offline Jane Sander

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 06:06:05 AM »
I always focus on the off balance, on a boat "dizzy" feeling. It drives me crazy!! Some days are better than others but it's just as annoying!

This was my main symptom also. I could barely walk, and if I got up too fast I would feel extra panicky and dizzy for a number of minutes.

I wrote a piece on it a few months ago, hope this helps some people here. Do let me know if it does! I'm taking notes on these answers and hopefully will write another one soon.

http://www.calmandserenity.com/panic-attacks/panic-attack-symptoms/
Bookmark and Share
I sometimes write for www.calmandserenity.com which is a resource site by a few members of Health Anxiety Forum to help sufferers of panic and anxiety.

http://www.calmandserenity.com

Proud Headspacer :P

Offline Braveheart

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 09:39:37 AM »
I worry about my Heart.

I've had Heart Palps for years without ever taking any notice, however, when I had my first panic attack (18 months ago) those palps have become scary.

I went to A&E, they carried out the usual tests - ECG, Bloodwork, Chest X-Ray etc and it all came back that I was fine. Certainly didn't feel like it. Well since then, any skipped beat or banging Heart scares the life out of me, I always feel as if my Heart isn't working properly, and the funny thing is, I actually don't think that what scares me now is any different to what I have put up with for the years before the panic attack. That Panic attack changed everything for me.

I check my pulse every single day, even when I'm feeling fine. It's madness behaviour, but I can't help it. I've even got to a stage where I'm checking my pulse against my wifes.

I keep telling myself that everything has to be fine. I was checked at the Hospital!!!

After that Hospital check I decided to get back to being as fit as I useed to be, so I started a fitness regime of swimming and walking. I would walk about my City (Edinburgh), and for anyone that knows Edinburgh, it has a lot of steep hills and stairs. During this time I put my Heart through a lot with the swimming and the flights of stairs etc, and not once did I die. I stopped the exercise when I went on holiday and failed to start when I got back. I am now scared to do exercise because I feel my Heart would give out. A vicious circle.

I'm tempted to get back to the Doctors to do some tests again just to give me that peace-of-mind to then start my fitness again.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: