Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: those who had or has ulcer  (Read 99 times)

Offline chunkymonkey

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
those who had or has ulcer
« on: August 23, 2014, 12:04:04 AM »
Anyone here who has or have ulcers in their stomach, what were your symptoms and do you know what caused them? Like h. Pylori, nsaid, stress, etc. And what medications or treatments are you doing for ulcers?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Cuchculan

• Rec's: 167
    • Poke This Member
Re: those who had or has ulcer
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 05:23:45 AM »
Stress and anxiety can cause ulcers. There are various types of ulcers too. One common one is peptic ulcers. You would know if you had one of them. Be like a war inside your stomach. Press your stomach and it will burp. Make a kind of gurgle noise. These ones are easily treated. Other ulcers can be treated too. Mainly with medication. To, well, calm them down. People can get confused at times with heart burn, acid and ulcers. The effects are somewhat similar with ulcers. They can cause an acid like effect and cause something similar to heart burn. In other words it would not be a nice feeling inside your stomach. If you have one or think you do, visit a doctor. They can be easily sorted out.
Bookmark and Share
The Lovable Irish Rogue

Offline chunkymonkey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:35:45 AM »
My dr says i have ibs and that is why i have gurgling noises but ibs shouldnt cause burning sensation. I took prilosec for 14 days but the burning pain came back. Do you have ulcers? If so, what were your symptoms?
Bookmark and Share

Offline AncientMelody

• Rec's: 15
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 07:55:29 AM »
Most recent research suggests that emotional stress will not cause ulcers, although if someone already has ulcers they can be made worse by stress and anxiety.  There are "Stress ulcers" but a stress ulcer is when someone undergoes a major medical illness and the sudden influx of stress hormones such as cortisol and other dramatic inflammatory changes induce an ulcer.

Though certainly stress can cause non-ulcer stomach pain. When my nerves are bad I definitely have my stomach churn, loss of appetite. And even with loss of appetite I can still get hunger pangs from that which can be a burning type sensation sometimes. My father has ulcers too, his is from excessive alcohol use, which is also another possible cause, as is chronic steroid treatment.

If the pain went away with prilosec then came back it's a good possibility the problem may be related to your stomach acid, whether it's an ulcer or acid reflux. Two weeks may not be enough treatment for an ulcer which requires usually 4-6 weeks of treatment and GERD may take up to 8 weeks (unless somewhat has chronic or recurrent forms) The idea behind the two week over the counter prilosec is if it's getting worse or returning after two weeks, you need a medical evaluation.

I would advise follow-up with your doctor on this issue.
If the abdominal pain is low, below the belly button, it's unlikely to be an ulcer even if it's a burning sensation. If it's up near the ribcage, then it certainly could be an ulcer or GERD. It could also be hunger pangs from not eating properly, or due to nerves. But yes you should follow-up with your doc specifically for that. They can do a stool test for h. pylori and if that's positive you would need antibiotics in addition to the prilosec.

best of luck to you
Bookmark and Share

Offline chunkymonkey

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 03:34:14 PM »
I was tested negative for h. Pylori. I dont drink or smoke. I did take advil for a while because of headaches but it wasnt long term which is why i dont understand how ulcers can form with just short term. My dad smokes everyday, drinks at least 6 shots of whisky every day and takes asprin everyday and yet he never complained about his stomach. I asked 2 drs if stress can cause ulcers and they said yes. But google says stress cannot cause ulcer so im really confused. My mom never drinks nor smokes but she gets the burning feeling in her stomach sometimes.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: