Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Rabies Fear  (Read 134 times)

Online RosaTudorRose

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Sick
    Sick
  • Hypochondriac to the extreme
    • Poke This Member
Rabies Fear
« on: August 22, 2014, 10:58:55 PM »
We got a dog last April who hasn't been to the vet yet. Not quite sure why my mom hasn't taken him because she was on top of our last few dogs. So that means no shots for anything. I know, I know. We need to take him in soon and I'll try and bring it up. Anyway, it's been a year and a half since we've got him and he's been fine since aside from just peeing everywhere he shouldn't be since he's unfortunately marking his territory and chewing on things he shouldn't. He hasn't been outside since we've gotten him and, even if the door is left open, he knows not to go outside.

Whenever I played with him, he liked to bite and scratch me (which is something our other dogs use to do with me! So it's not like this is unusual) but he only started a couple of months afterwards since he was very shy and took awhile to open up with us. He never caused me to bleed, he just gave me very superficial scratches on my hands and arms Now he's fine, likes to play with my three year old brother, and otherwise normal. But I'm still worried that, even though he isn't showing signs, that he has bit and scratched me. So now I'm avoiding being licked or even touched by my dog at all, which I feel bad about since he just either wants to lay with me or play.

Frankly I'm surprised that I never freaked out earlier? I mean I kind of have after my mom had a stray cat bite and scratch her last year. Thankfully the cat did not have rabies, he was probably freaked out that my mom got close to him and attacked. Or he was just a mean cat.

Rationally, I know an animal has to be symptomatic to spread rabies. I know rabies typically shows up in less than six months after initial infection for dogs and that cases that occur later a rare ones. And I know rabies in domestic animals is pretty rare nowadays. But obviously I'm not thinking rationally.

Anyone feel like talking some sense into me? Please?
Bookmark and Share

Offline KirklandHarris

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Rabies Fear
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 01:46:30 AM »
Hi Rosa. Let me put this into perspective for you. On average there are 1 or 2 deaths per year from rabies in the united states. There are thousands of people each year who become professional athletes. Therefor you are literally thousands of times more likely to become a professional athlete in the US than to die from rabies. So quit worrying about rabies and work on your jump shot. :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share

Tags: