Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: IS THIS ALS PLEASE HELP  (Read 474 times)

Offline nick1981

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
IS THIS ALS PLEASE HELP
« on: August 22, 2014, 03:10:11 PM »
So im Nick im 32 years old. For the past 2 months I have had extreme weakness in both legs. Its almost feels weird to walk or run now. When I try to exercise they cramp and hurt really bad. The muscle twitching all over my body is horrific. Im scared to death and just dont know how this could be anxiety. My legs are so weak and when going down steps or down a hill they shake really bad I have had a CBC blood test cmp blood test thyroid checked and ekg all normal. Even if im not anxious weakness is still there
Bookmark and Share

Offline mprowland

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: IS THIS ALS PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 03:25:45 PM »
I know very little, so take I what I say with a grain of salt:  I believe twitching all over is actually a good sign, this came straight from the mouth of my neurologist.  If ONE leg were weak and that ONE leg was the only one twitching, I'd be a little concerned.  From what I understand, ONE leg would be weak and the other would be normal if it were A%$.  A%$ progressively moves throughout the body.  I've had body wide twitching for over a year and half now.  I've often had PERCEIVED weakness in one of my legs.  While my leg FELT weak, I had an EMG and it came back clean.  There is an entire website of (5000+ members) devoted to people who twitch and believe it's A%$. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline nick1981

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 03:29:29 PM »
Thank you
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 04:07:31 PM »
In what way are they 'weak'? Perception of weakness isn't weakness. Weakness is not being capable of running. See a neurologist. Have an exam. It could be anxiety. You certainly sound anxious. Twitching is negligible.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline nick1981

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 04:18:17 PM »
I saw a nuero he just did a ten minute exam but no other tests he said I was fine
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 04:27:22 PM »
Then you are very, very likely to be fine.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 40
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »
I saw a nuero he just did a ten minute exam but no other tests he said I was fine

Then you are with exception of anxiety. Twitching is one of the most common symptoms of anxiety and stress.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 04:32:14 PM »
No UMN pathology. No atrophy. Cramps contingent on exercise. Twitching is pretty much meaningless. No pathological weakness. Reflex exams are essentially the most definitive non-invasive test that exists. If he didn't find weakness or abnormal reflexes then you don't have anything to worry about. Plenty of people twitch. Myself included.
Bookmark and Share

Offline nick1981

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 04:35:30 PM »
I hear you its just the weak feelings in both legs it feels weird to walk now and they shake like crazy just hard to think anxiety can cause this for 2 months straight
Bookmark and Share

Offline Daisy55

• Rec's: 9
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 04:45:27 PM »
What was the 10 min test?  Can I do it at home?
The ALS has me concerned too.
Bookmark and Share
You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.  
John 8:32

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 05:00:21 PM »
Anxiety can do whatever it pleases. Especially with someone as worked up as you are. And no, Daisy. Not only can you not, it is a pernicious way to think. Do not self-examine. For any one concerned about this disease, consult your GP or see a neurologist. Do not self-examine, self-test, self-whatever.
Bookmark and Share

Offline ShawnW

• Rec's: 29
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 05:55:40 PM »
No UMN pathology. No atrophy. Cramps contingent on exercise. Twitching is pretty much meaningless. No pathological weakness. Reflex exams are essentially the most definitive non-invasive test that exists. If he didn't find weakness or abnormal reflexes then you don't have anything to worry about. Plenty of people twitch. Myself included.
$$$.  This.
Bookmark and Share
My insight, thoughts, experiences or advice that may be posted in this forum are not meant as a substitution for the advice of your physician.

Want to know how to address your anxiety?
http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,93402.msg521266.html#msg521266

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 06:38:12 PM »
What was the 10 min test?  Can I do it at home?
The ALS has me concerned too.

if you choose to do some self-check test you will only perpetuate your anxiety.

als is scary.  sure.  no one wants to get it.   However what does ALS have to do wtih you?  Meaning what makes you think you could possibly have it?   btw---feeling weak or weird or twitching or tingling are not evidence of als.  if, in fact those were the anxiety symptoms you are having.   :winking0008:
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline nick1981

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2014, 06:45:49 PM »
My legs have felt super weak and they hurt for 2 months strait I have had no relief even when im not anxious
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 11:25:49 PM »
Listen. Feeling weak and being weak are entirely different. Anxiety is a subconscious process as well as conscious. This 'pain' sounds pretty vague. Are you having limb-contorting cramping that encumbers on your ability to move the limb? I didn't think so. A neurologist wouldn't dismiss that. There's a reason you came to an anxiety website. And no offense, but you sound super f***ing anxious. Your title is in caps and you're ignoring facts and replacing it with your fears.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: