Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Wondering if I should go to the ER.  (Read 252 times)

Offline ckelley116

• Rec's: 2
  • Mood: Okay
    Okay
    • Poke This Member
Wondering if I should go to the ER.
« on: August 22, 2014, 01:44:07 PM »
For more than a week straight (with the exception of Tuesday, which was as close to normal a day as I've had in a while), I've had symptoms that are really freaking me out. Head pressure - it feels like someone put a balloon in my skull and pumped it full of air, and it's worst at the crown of my head. Dizziness that seems to strike no matter how my body's positioned and no matter what I'm doing. And an awful squeezing feeling like a mini-head rush that I get whenever I move my head from side to side and then center it again, which I stupidly keep doing "just to see". Except for the morning when I first wake up, it's been pretty much constant. For days. And I am terrified.

I am NOT having visual disturbances, balance/motor issues, or speech problems. I feel a little shaky but I think that's just from being so emotionally worked up.

I am petrified. I'm here in my office at work and I've been fighting back tears for the last hour. (It might be a stress reliever, but I don't want anyone to walk in on me crying.) Deep breathing doesn't help as exhaling seems to exacerbate the head-rush feeling. I'm afraid to get in my car and drive home for fear of losing control and crashing. My head feels like it weighs 500 lbs. I know this all sounds like anxiety. And there is a small part of me that says "yes, of course it is." But there's a much bigger, louder part of me that wants it to be something horrible and fatal and that is the part I can't shut up. I know these symptoms won't go away unless I stop focusing on them. But how am I supposed to stop focusing on them when they feel so awful? And the more I focus, the worse they feel, and the more scared I get, so...it's a vicious cycle I'm sure you've all been through. It just feels so horrible, I don't know how I'm going to make it until September 3rd when I have my doctor's appointment.

Would going to the ER tonight be a bad idea, as it might "feed the fear"? I don't want to show up and take attention from people who are having true emergencies. But this feels unbearable. It's gotten worse as I've typed this, which should prove that it's anxiety, but the small remaining rational part of me is being drowned out by the much larger anxious part. I don't know how to live with this. I'm so scared of not ever feeling normal again.
Bookmark and Share
"Fate only takes you so far. Once you're there, it's up to you to make it happen."

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Wondering if I should go to the ER.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 01:57:06 PM »
I don't see this as an ER situation.

For me, I've learned to be really honest with myself when I get odd sensations.  by that I mean, what kind of stresses have I been under?  How is my sleeping?  How is my diet?  Am I getting enough exercise?  Am I engaging in reactive behaviors that is keeping my body symptomatic?   I basically make me take responsibility for myself with regard to how I am feeling.  If I can, honestly, see that stress or my actions are causing X, I  deal with it without seeing  a doctor.

If I can readily tell that I am ill or something is wrong, then I go to my doctor.  I  never go running off to the ER.  I figure if I am asking if it is an ER situation, it really can't be.  ER situations ARE as described, emergencies.

So, if you are THAT concerned, if you think this is an emergency, then go.  If you think, "wow, these head symptoms have lasted too long and I know I haven't been living anxiously and/or feeding my anxiety",  then have your doctor take a look.   If you know you are stressed or been obsessing, then, imo, you should treat it as a manifestation of stress/anxiety.

Ultimately, it is your decision.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline ckelley116

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 05:23:08 PM »
As always, Sixpack, thanks for your honesty. No, this isn't an ER situation. I actually do feel a bit better today, although my upstairs neighbor has his kids here and the amount of noise the two of them make is simply unbelievable. I write historical fiction set in England and if I ever wanted to set a book during WWII, I think I can more than adequately describe the Blitz . Loud noises and I do NOT get along, even when I'm not anxious, so it hasn't been an easy day. But pretty much the only symptom I've had today is the slow eyeball sensation, and it hasn't been constant, so that's comforting.

Thanks for talking me down. It's appreciated more than you know!
Bookmark and Share
"Fate only takes you so far. Once you're there, it's up to you to make it happen."

Offline steph312022

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 07:35:53 PM »
I'm glad you are feeling a little better.  I get head pressure whenever I have a allergies, sinus infection or a cold.  Could it be something like that?
Bookmark and Share

Offline ckelley116

Okay
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 08:05:14 PM »
I'm glad you are feeling a little better.  I get head pressure whenever I have a allergies, sinus infection or a cold.  Could it be something like that?

Hi Steph - thanks  :happy0151: Today has been a pretty good day, symptom-wise. As for the head pressure, if I'm going to be rational, I think it's because of tense shoulder and neck muscles. I have terrible posture, I'll admit. And I notice that the pressure seems to be worse during the week - when I'm at work in front of the computer for about 9 hours. It doesn't seem to bother me as much on weekends when I'm walking around, cleaning the apartment and doing laundry and stuff. And I have an awful job. I work in a really hostile environment. The tension between the two main managers is, on a scale of 1-10, at about an 8 most days, and because of my position (office manager) I'm more often than not caught in the middle. So bad posture + a huge amount of tension = really tight, tense muscles!
Bookmark and Share

Tags: