Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Postive Self-Talk  (Read 166 times)

Offline Nellie

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Postive Self-Talk
« on: August 22, 2014, 07:04:06 AM »
I am having a molar extracted next Wednesday. I had my wisdom teeth out years ago (when I wasn't so nervous about the dentist), but no extractions since then. I've been having panic attacks the last several months (I've had anxiety issues all my life, had panic attacks about 15 years ago, improved, but now am much worse).

I've been doing better, am going to a therapist, just started.

I am taking antibiotics now (am afraid to take medicine, so this has been very difficult). I have been doing some positive self talk for that. I have 3 more days to go on the antibiotics.

But now I'm starting to get anxiety about the extraction, thinking about it, how I'm going to handle it, afterwards, etc etc, etc. I didn't sleep last night.

I have some xanax and have never taken it, need to try before the day of the extraction. I don't know if that will help or not.

I am trying to do positive self-talk (plus meditation, tapping, mindfulness, etc , all of which are very difficult because of my high level of anxiety on this).

I can't think of what affirmations to say, so I am hoping for some suggestions.
Thanks
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
Re: Postive Self-Talk
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 07:54:30 AM »
You are on a good track with mindfulness and positive self-talk. You can get some ideas checking out YT. My self-talk during meditation can vary. Sometimes it's just Calm and Peace. Other times I count breaths in and out. Or tell myself, Don't be afraid, be strong, trust yourself, praise yourself, like yourself, love yourself.

Moderate your expectations. Be patient. It takes time to recondition your mind. You can research meditation on YT also, as well as read up on it. There is also yoga and tai chi. Wishing you the best.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Lunatone

• Rec's: 19
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 07:59:18 AM »
When I have a situation coming up that makes me anxious, i find it harder to deal with using normal, general anxiety relaxation. In these cases, I would just try to distract myself. There's an extremely powerful tool available to do this, but its not without unintended side effects. Still, it will work. If you tell me your favorite movie, I can show ya. Otherwise, I'd just try doing things like playing video games that require tedious hyper-vigilance to complete. Where you cannot focus on anything else.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Nellie

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 07:45:25 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I am trying to meditate more and to listen to relaxing music. The closer I get to this appointment the more anxious I get and the less I sleep.

I'll just keeping working at different techniques
Bookmark and Share

Offline tinam7

• Rec's: 76
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 08:49:57 AM »
Lunatone makes some good points. Takes a bit of experimentation to find what works best. Distraction to avoid dwelling on it. Maybe try a xanax sooner. Go for a walk, connect with nature and tell yourself how courageous you are.

All will be well. We are rooting for you.
Bookmark and Share