Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Super paranoid - help  (Read 177 times)

Online cameronj

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Super paranoid - help
« on: August 21, 2014, 07:06:24 PM »
So i went to see my doctor last week due to a cough and some chest discomfort and I ended up having a chest x-ray that showed some minor bronchial inflammation. She prescribed me a z-pack and an inhaler for when I exercise. I finished the z-pack last Friday (I read that it stays in the system for 10 days after you stop taking it) and have continued to use my inhaler. My chest pain has disappeared and I thought my cough was gone as well, but my doctor called me yesterday to ask how I was doing, which resulted in me thinking about it, and lone behold my cough returned. I have continued to periodically have the cough today as well. Now I'm really paranoid that it's something more insidious besides inflammation. Like lung cancer or something that was missed. I know it's unlikely for a 21 year old to have lung cancer (especially a non-smoker), but I'm really paranoid and scared that it's something besides inflammation. She told me to use the inhaler for a month but when she called me, I told her that my cough was 85-90% better. Now I'm seriously regretting it and really want to call tomorrow and tell her that there's something seriously wrong
Bookmark and Share

Online cameronj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Super paranoid - help
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 12:18:34 AM »
Anyone?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 12:33:21 AM »
Lung cancer rarely presents with a cough and chest pain - there are usually no symptoms or just a feeling of being winded quickly. If it does present with a cough, the cough is usually persistent (i.e. it doesn't come and go) and it often comes with coughing up some blood.

It is possible for people at all ages to get lung cancer, but it doesn't sound like you have it. What you probably have is something like seasonal allergies, post-nasal drip, acid reflux, you're sleeping with your mouth open, the air is dry, or a combination of those factors. If the cough doesn't go away in another few weeks, schedule another appointment with your doc to get an X-ray, but I promise it will be fine.
Bookmark and Share

Online cameronj

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 02:50:51 AM »
I spoke with the main nurse and she said that the fact that I went for a 42 mile bike ride of rolling hills on Monday should 1. reassure me that I don't have anything wrong with me and 2. probably caused some irritation. She also said that the radiologist's report essentially said that everything was perfect besides some minor, minor inflammation. I also looked up the statistics for lung cancer and out of all cases, only 0.3% are in my age group - which roughly translates to less than 700 people. I know this alone should reassure me since it is statistically so improbable (especially considering how I've always been healthy), but I'm still paranoid that the chest X-Ray missed something or something was missed when they listened to my lungs.

I did recently go back to college (I go to school in a major metropolitan city and back home is a beach side suburb), so I guess it's totally plausible that my body is also adapting to the difference in air quality and what not. When I spoke with my doctor on the phone, she said that I needed to be patient and give it time (probably why she told me to use the inhaler for a full month)... maybe this could also be why my cough is back. Deep down I know that it's most likely nothing, but I'm just scared that it could be something insidious.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Slangevar

• Rec's: 30
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 07:59:41 PM »
Of course you're coughing after a 42-mile bike ride!  Good lord... the fact that you're still breathing is something.

Your doc is right - if you had cancer at the stage where it was causing a chronic cough, it would show up on an X-ray. You're fine - don't worry.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: