Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Really in a bad place re ALS worries  (Read 249 times)

Offline Nenive

• Just Joined!
  • Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Really in a bad place re ALS worries
« on: August 21, 2014, 01:39:38 PM »
For about a week and a half my muscles have been twitching like crazy. My anxiety will not go away because they're twtching... everywhere. All over my body. I look like a horse being annoyed by flies.

On top of this my muscles feel weak. My hands feel weak and claw like.

My legs feel numb and I keep getting tingling in my extremities randomly.

This started after I had to race 2 miles to get my daughter after her school bus didn't let her off. My dr said I injured my trapesius and was dehydrated. A few days later I noticed the twitching, then the numbness and tingling. My husband said this is because I worked out too hard. He said since I'm out of shape I should start working out. So I did. I've been doing the "true beginner" on daily burn most days since. I did have trouble doing some of the stuff that involved my hands, thinking that maybe I might have injured my wrists. But the anxiety is SO BAD because I just can't stop twitching. Yesterday I rested all day. I'm resting today too and I'm laying there and just twitching everywhere. It's impossible to relax through that so how do I relax to see if relaxing makes it go away?

Does starting a new exercise program cause this stuff? I'm freaking out and I have a baby to take care of and I'm nursing and can't take ANYTHING to calm down.... help? :(
Bookmark and Share

Offline GMA2014

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Really in a bad place re ALS worries
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 01:46:35 PM »
Hi Nenive. I actually just joined this forum but your post was the first thing that popped up when I searched ALS. I've suffered from anxiety for about a year and a half now and it's just recently gotten bad/worrisome. Ever since I started the ice bucket challenges started popping up on ***** I researched extensively on this horrible disease. A few days after researching I began to feel what I imagined was weakness an now my thumb aches (it's only my left side). I HIGHLY, HIGHLY doubt that what either of us is experiencing is als. Our bodies are reacting to our anxiety and twitching from the countless articles that I've read is completely normal. Everyone will experience it at some point in their lives. I'm currently waiting on getting approved for health insurance because I seriously cannot stand this constant state of feeling anxiousness.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jazeraca

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 02:39:21 PM »
Twitching happens in late-stage ALS, not early stage. It happens after you've experienced muscular atrophy to the point where it causes significant weakness. And I don't mean mild fatigue, I mean a cup of coffee feels like you're lifting up something that weighs 100 pounds.

Vast majority of people have twitching. They get it even more when they're anxious. You're fine.
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, DESNOS, Fibro and other physical issues. Nothing serious, but of course my anxious mind will often find something very serious as with other things in my life. Anxiety is a fraud. Anxiety is not YOU or ME, it is an illness.

Offline atleswoolf

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 04:04:31 PM »
I too have been having a lot of twitching and muscle weakness over the last few months.  My mother died of cancer in May; I'm taking care of an elderly grandmother; I'm dealing with a lot of relationship issues.  The twitching comes and goes and is never constant; the weakness seems to be perceived rather than clinical -- the doctor has done all of the strength tests with me, etc.  I suppose that a lot of this current bout seems to be tied to the stress of starting a new academic term, coupled with all of the attention that ALS seems to be getting these days with the ice-bucket challenge.  Anyhow, I understand what you're going through, and also wish it would stop.
Bookmark and Share
I meant to write about death, only life came breaking in as usual.  -- Virginia Woolf, Diary, 17 February 1922.

Offline cali4niay

• Rec's: 4
  • Mood: Stressed
    Stressed
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 04:41:08 PM »
For a year, I twitched every second of the day- from my scalp to my feet, it was everywhere. Sometimes they jumped around, sometimes they stayed in one spot/area.

It was just BFS.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: