Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Worried about my fiance getting ALS  (Read 218 times)

Offline skleep

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Worried about my fiance getting ALS
« on: August 21, 2014, 12:31:35 AM »
So earlier today I was worried about me getting ALS, now I'm worried about my fiance (wedding scheduled in 2 days, which I'm sure is the root of my anxiety) getting it.

My reasons for worrying about him consist of the fact that he was a wide receiver in high school when he played sports and it seems like athletes get it more often than other people.  He hasn't played competitive sports since he was about 18 (he's 27 now) and it seems like now he just works out from time to time and does some weights and running.

There is no ALS in his family but I just have this nagging feeling that he's going to get it young.  It would completely break my heart if he did.  In addition, I read that certain amino acids in protein powders can cause ALS, and I know he used to drink them all the time in high school.

I'm just so sad and worried :(  I know the chances are 1 in 1,000 but for him it just seems so much higher.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
Re: Worried about my fiance getting ALS
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 01:08:15 AM »
There is no real established link between BCAAs and ALS. Only that consumption of BCAAs cause faster progression. .03% of cases occur before age 40. Lots of people play sports and drink protein mixes. The odds of him developing this are slim to none. It's more like 1 in a 10,000 at the absolute 'best' although much likelier his chances are closer to1 in a million.   
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline LadyH

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Exhausted
    Exhausted
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:25:44 AM »
Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, have a brilliant day :)
Hxx
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 226
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 07:32:15 AM »
the mere fact that we live opens us up to having something bad happen to us.  That is the price of living.  You can bee afraid of als for yourself or your future husband.  but fear doesn't make it happen.  fear doesn't prevent it from happening either.   so look at it like this:  what is your fear accomplishing?  all it accomplishes is sucking joy from your life.

your stress/anxiety are getting the better of you right now.    step back and see it is the big beautiful event coming up that has your anxious thinking running amok.   Good/exciting stress can set off weird thinking just like unhappy stress.

focus on the wonderful day you have coming up instead of the trash your anxious thinking is trying to peddle to you.
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Tags: