Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Do I have ALS?  (Read 258 times)

Offline skleep

• Rec's: 2
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Do I have ALS?
« on: August 20, 2014, 08:20:42 PM »
I lift weights and thus far, knock on wood, haven't experienced any muscle weakness, in fact I am getting stronger.  Currently squatting my weight, which for a woman can be kind of difficult (we don't build muscle as easily).

However, yesterday I had some really mild exercise- just a tiny bit of yoga, i didn't even break a sweat, and then today I went on a brisk mile-long walk in the morning.  I noticed that this afternoon, there were some really mild muscle twitches in my calves.  This ALS awareness stuff is bringing up my ALS fears again.

I also know that muscle twitches can be due to stress (my wedding is scheduled in 2 days, so yeah I'm stressed!) plus exercise (I didn't exercise that heavily yesterday, but I exercise often) so I'm not sure to what extent I should worry.  Right now I'd say my anxiety about it is a 1 or 2 on a 5-point scale.

Any help?
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 214
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
Re: Do I have ALS?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:35:28 PM »
well since you are considering you *could* have als based on twitching disproves your low anxiety assessment  :winking0008:  :yes:

twitching is NOT an indicator of als.  Profound weakness is.   twitching is due to stress/anxiety, muscle overuse and nerves getting nervy.    there is ZERO extent that you should worry about als.  you don't have it.  It is a completely  B-;  conclusion to jump to.    :yes:

have a beautiful wedding
Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

Offline Raaawr

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:37:30 PM »
I lift weights and thus far, knock on wood, haven't experienced any muscle weakness, in fact I am getting stronger.  Currently squatting my weight, which for a woman can be kind of difficult (we don't build muscle as easily).

However, yesterday I had some really mild exercise- just a tiny bit of yoga, i didn't even break a sweat, and then today I went on a brisk mile-long walk in the morning.  I noticed that this afternoon, there were some really mild muscle twitches in my calves.  This ALS awareness stuff is bringing up my ALS fears again.

I also know that muscle twitches can be due to stress (my wedding is scheduled in 2 days, so yeah I'm stressed!) plus exercise (I didn't exercise that heavily yesterday, but I exercise often) so I'm not sure to what extent I should worry.  Right now I'd say my anxiety about it is a 1 or 2 on a 5-point scale.

Any help?

I bolded the parts that answer your own question.

You are exerting yourself with weights by doing squats which work the calf muscles.
You did some Yoga, which you may not have broken a sweat with but you definitely stretched out your muscles as thats what Yoga is right?
Finally, a brisk mile walk. Walking briskly will also put strain on your calf muscles.

Add all of them together, even if it wasnt all in one day or even 3 days but some calf muscle twitching really wouldnt be that surprising once you are sitting down and relaxing.
Bookmark and Share
Since July 23rd 2014 I have had;
Brain Tumor, 5x Heart Attacks, 2x Blood clots in leg, 1 blood clot in Arm, 2x Appendicitis, Pulmonary Embolism, Brain Tumor, Internal Bleeding, Ebola.

Offline mprowland

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 08:42:23 PM »
My uncle recently died from A%$(I can't even type it).  He did twitch, but he also had profound weakness in the same muscle that was twitching.  When I noticed his twitching, I started to twitch.  My calves have been twitching for over a year and a half now with no weakness.  I'm sure they have been twitching longer, I just never thought to look.  My eye has been twitching for over a year now.  I've also have random twitches all over the place.  I've been to my doctor 10+ times in the last year or so and a neurologist this last week.  I've had an EMG and a on my leg and a full clinical exam, everything has come back clear.  I'm finally starting to believe all the doctors, they same the same thing; anxiety. 
Calves seem like the most prone to twitching, especially after working out.  Weakness is the hallmark symptom of A$%.  A twitch is nothing more than a twitch.  This bucket challenge has been great for awareness, but absolutely terrible terrible TERRIBLE for people with anxiety; especially for people who already have fear of A$% to begin with.     
Bookmark and Share

Offline livelaughlove

• Rec's: 8
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 08:54:34 PM »
You don't have ALS, you have BFS. There are different groups that get benign fasiculations, those groups are: athletes that exercise and especially if they eat a high fat high protein diet, another group is people that get it after infection, another group is of course those with anxiety. Fasiculations are tiny contractions. There is no research in it. It is a benign condition meaning it seems you have it forever, but it never gets worse. Exercise makes it worse, but don't give up exercising. Exercise makes it worse because of free radicals and antioxidants and circulating lactic acid after a work out. Don't listen to the people that say take magnesium. Don;t take magnesium without having levels checked first. Get checked for lymes and B12 deficiency as well. Other than that, if you go to a neurologist you will probably have hyperreflexia on exam, and you will have a normal MRI and normal EMG. So while this condition is benign it is very difficult to live with. It takes about a year before you come to accept it. You will have good days and bad days. I've had it 17 months now, and i have talked to people that have had it over 20 years. It sucks. But it will never progress into MS or ALS so fortunately, we will never get worse, we just will have to live with daily twitching forever. It may get worse around your period and if you get sick, too, but then gets better. Caffeine will make it worse, too. You will get hotspots. It will be bodywide. Some days you may only have 3 fasics all day while other days it may be nonstop. Try not to worry, it's very annoying to live with, but it IS benign and does not progress at all into anything that would disable you.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 9
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 09:13:15 PM »
"Do I have ALS?"

I'm not a doctor but I'm willing to bet my next pay check you don't.

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline Nicollette

• Rec's: 1
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 11:44:28 PM »
Muscle twitches extremely common especially when we have anxiety over something -- like say, a wedding?  :)    This caught my eye because I have also been having twitches just under my right shoulder and can feel them pulsing and even when lying on my right side I could hear it pulsing in my right ear!  At first I thought it was my heartbeat.   I've been very anxious myself due to a medical test I am going for next week among other things such as selling my mother's house for her.   Please put your mind at ease and focus on your big day coming up!    The twitches are nothing to worry about!  Best wishes
Bookmark and Share

Tags: