Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Scared of having an allergic reaction?  (Read 142 times)

Offline greenzebra

• Rec's: 1
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Scared of having an allergic reaction?
« on: August 20, 2014, 01:26:46 PM »
On and off I have this really weird fear that I'm going to have an allergic reaction when I eat something. I think I'm mildly allergic to bananas, avocados, and figs because I get bad stomach cramps when I eat them, but I've never had swelling or anything. Last night I ate an apple, and my mouth itched a little, and then I was 100% convinced that my tongue was swelling and I freaked out. I wasn't talking funny and it didn't look swollen at all, but I still had a panic attack over it. Does anyone else deal with this or know how to cope?   ::)
Bookmark and Share

Offline mollyfin

• Rec's: 36
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Scared of having an allergic reaction?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 09:12:01 PM »
I have mouth burning when I eat bananas too; google oral allergy syndrome.  I didn't know what it was until I found out my sister in law had the same thing; something to do with a pollen reaction.  She can't have apples, either.  I get a burning mouth, sneezing and runny nose with cucumbers, bananas, and I'm afraid to try avocados because when I use skin care products with it, I break out in a painful rash. 

FWIW I've eaten cucumbers in chopped salads before because I didn't want to waste the time sending the food back, and all I got was bad hay fever and a burning mouth, no serious allergic reaction.  I think this kind of reaction is pretty mild and not the same as a dangerous food allergy. 
Bookmark and Share

Offline greenzebra

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 11:23:40 PM »
That's actually really comforting to know, thank you :) I can never tell if my mouth is actually itching or if it's just anxiety.
Bookmark and Share

Online Slangevar

• Rec's: 28
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 01:25:48 AM »
My mouth gets itchy when I eat cantaloupe and my aunt is convinced it's an allergy. Maybe it is - fortunately I hate cantaloupe.

My sister has the same thing happen with apples, btw. She's also convinced she's allergic, but she has yet to have a more serious reaction. If it's an allergy, it's a minor one.
Bookmark and Share

Offline greenzebra

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 11:28:07 PM »
My mind just always jumps to the worst possible conclusion lol. Like lately every time that I eat, I'm scared that I'm going to have a reaction, especially if it contains a fruit or vegetable. My throat feels super tight, but it's been staying that way. I'm going to go to an allergist to get tested just to be sure, but it's super exhausting being afraid to eat.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: