Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Think I'm dying again, and I'm sick of it  (Read 226 times)

Offline heartbeatingheavy

• Rec's: 0
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Think I'm dying again, and I'm sick of it
« on: August 19, 2014, 04:13:15 PM »
Backstory:
4 years ago thought I had brain tumor/cancer/disease, eventually ended up with a head CT and blood work. All normal.
Last year ended up in ER thinking I was having a stroke/heart attack/aortic aneurysm, got hooked up to an EKG, chest x-ray, and chest CT with contrast, all normal. Blood work again, everything tested from thyroid issues to HIV, all clear.

After the ER scare, went on Lexipro (terrible, terrible stuff), self medicated with Xanax (even worse stuff if used with reckless abandon), got a new doc a few months ago, and he set me straight with Zoloft (25mg) and a very small dosage of Xanax as a "just in case".

Currently, however, I'm relapsing and I think I have brain issues again. I'm suffering from depersonalization, confusion, dizziness, light headedness, inability to focus, memory loss (maybe), mental fumbling, and pretty much any and all issues in, on, or around cognitive construction. It's even affecting me physically, in that it feels as though my hair is standing on end and I can "feel" my scalp. It's like when I was having heart issues and I could "feel" my heart beat for 3 days straight, although you never do any other time.

Anyway, if you've made it this far (and I feel for you if you did), I'll assume you can understand my frustration. All I want to do is go straight to the doctor and request an MRI of my skull and a stress test, along with blood work. But really, will that make things better? I mean, the last time I was in the predicament, I thought, "Ok, just a head CT, then I'll be fine". Then it was, "Ok, just a chest CT, then I'll be fine". Every time, good news comes back, I'm all clear, and I think I can be normal again.

So I'm coming to you again, Anxiety Zone, help a fellow narcissist out in their time of confused need. The symptoms that I'm suffering from, can they be related to a greater issue? Should I force my doctor to ask for these tests for me? Has anybody been misdiagnosed with anxiety?

What should I do?
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jazeraca

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Think I'm dying again, and I'm sick of it
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 05:05:13 PM »
"Fellow narcissist"?
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, DESNOS, Fibro and other physical issues. Nothing serious, but of course my anxious mind will often find something very serious as with other things in my life. Anxiety is a fraud. Anxiety is not YOU or ME, it is an illness.

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:04:54 PM »
"Fellow narcissist"?

Well yeah, we all are to a certain degree, whether we want to be or not. While I'm using it a bit out of context here, and I yes I do understand the negative connotation that comes with the term (excuse my dry humor), I think it applies because we're all here on the assumption that doctors, people that have spent 12+ years at a degree granting institution, diagnosed us incorrectly. And thus, our self-pride stares directly in the face of reality and goes, "No, I'm different. I'M the rare exception. I REALLY do have (insert 10 second Google diagnosis here)."

Please excuse my phrasing, I meant no harm. I apologize if you took offense, I was just, in my own bizarre sense, grouping us together as a band of "medical misfits". Also too, I projected some of my frustration through the term because I, personally, ABHOR anxiety. I'm smart, I'm active, I'm very capable, very "with it". And yet, for some reason, a few years ago my mind decided to go on the fritz for no apparent reason. I don't like not having an answer. Hell, that is, in a nutshell, my day job. Providing answers for problems that seem to happen beyond our control. And so, this anxiety thing is just...so frustrating.

This is why I'm in the predicament that I'm in, the belief that this anxiety thing is nothing but hogwash and haberdashery and there must be something intimately wrong with me. There must be a physical reason, a chemical imbalance, a tumor, a weak artery, a rare virus, SOMETHING that makes me feel like this. To go from normal, perfect everyday life to one of crippling anxiety where I'm nothing more than a shell of my former self strictly because of the "belief" that I'm sick...why? why why why.

I just want my life back.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Jazeraca

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 07:10:40 PM »
Gotcha.

Your symptoms sound like brain fog, a side effect of a psychiatric med or anxiety. Maybe even insomnia. I get those frequently and they are always, for me, a symptom of any of the previous three. Well, possibly fibromyalgia too. But honestly, those sound like classic anxiety symptoms. CT scan would've picked up on brain cancer, bleeding or something really sinister.
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, DESNOS, Fibro and other physical issues. Nothing serious, but of course my anxious mind will often find something very serious as with other things in my life. Anxiety is a fraud. Anxiety is not YOU or ME, it is an illness.

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 07:19:39 PM »
Thank you.

And again, sorry for the negativity. Sometimes I just get so flustered and I, unfortunately, vent at strangers who are only trying to help. What is really doing a number on me is that I've been doing so good. I was accepting of it, I got anxiety. Ok, cool, let's cope and move past this. But then, these past few days, I started to feel like I did a few years ago, and in the back of my head I'm thinking, "Hey now, I've accepted you. I accept anxiety. I already danced to this song, I don't wanna do it again. Hmm, must be serious. I have meningitis"

And so, now I'm here. Again.
Bookmark and Share

Offline sixpack

• no illogical conclusions please
  • Rec's: 223
  • Mood: Thoughtful
    Thoughtful
  • anxiety lies, don't listen
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 07:39:31 PM »
Well QUITE an interesting post.  I enjoy a guffaw now and again   :yes:   :winking0008:

don't worry I didn't take offense.  I thought it was kinda 'ballsy"--well sorta   :laugh3:

I see you are new here and at the risk of sounding narcissistic   (hehe )  I am going to post some of my links that I blather on about on anxiety.  One is a symptom list.  at any rate, I am not an anxiety guru.  I am just an older soul who has been around the block. I spend some time here  sharing my experiences and opinions that I have come to over the last few years.

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,60476.0.html

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,67619.0.html

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,89766.0.html

http://www.anxietyzone.com/index.php/topic,90236.msg503590.html#msg503590

good luck and be well

Bookmark and Share
MOST anxiety occurs on a subconscious level.  JUST because you don't feel consciously anxious or had a day or two of calm doesn't mean your mind & body are relaxed.  It can take months of reduced anxiety before a body goes back to a more non-reactive state

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 10:18:35 PM »
Sounding narcissistic? Why of course not, Mr. Sixpack. ;)

Thank you very much for all the links and for looking past my brash wit. I look forward to reading them.
Bookmark and Share

Tags: