Chat Now!   Member Gallery    Member Articles    Games   Member Groups   Member Blogs   Health News    Bored?

Author Topic: Please dont read this if you are worried about Ebola  (Read 452 times)

Offline Raaawr

• Rec's: 0
  • Mood: Worried
    Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Please dont read this if you are worried about Ebola
« on: August 19, 2014, 04:01:21 PM »
I am not sure where this has come from. It reminds me of fears I used to have about a disease long ago when I was a child. Anyway, on my way home from work I decided I would get some foods to cook. I got some green beans from Zimbabwe (Yep this where the fear is coming from). In the end I didnt cook them as I normally like to eat them raw. So I gave them a quick rinse and had eaten three when I thought; "Zimbabwe is in Africa, Ebola is in Africa, what if someone with Ebola touched or bled on this food and I am now eating it".

So now I am freaking out that I have contracted Ebola from the surface of my food. I know Ebola is not transmitted by the food itself, but it is theoretically possible that someone with Ebola touched the food and contaminated its surface. The only thing I cant seem to find out is how long Ebola can live in a chilled environment on a surface and then how long it takes for the food to get from Zimbabwe to my hands. This is of course assuming someone with Ebola even touched it. I know the odds of that are ridiculous but I wish I had some evidence to disprove my fears instead of trusting things to odds and statistics. So now I am seriously anxious I have managed to get Ebola, from some food, from Africa.

So here is information I found:
SURVIVAL OUTSIDE HOST: The virus can survive in liquid or dried material for a number of days (23). Infectivity is found to be stable at room temperature or at 4C for several days, and indefinitely stable at -70C (6, 20). Infectivity can be preserved by lyophilisation.
This makes me more worried.

So if it can infect for several days on dried body fluids, assuming someone touched my food with Ebola it is possible for the food to be infectious. But in theory, it would take longer than a number of days to package, ship and distribute from Zimbabwe to Europe.
I dont know how cold -70C or whether my food was ever at that temperature but I somehow doubt it.
Lyophilisation is the process of freeze drying. I dont know what effect that has on food or what it would look like but these seemed fresh enough.

Bookmark and Share
Since July 23rd 2014 I have had;
Brain Tumor, 5x Heart Attacks, 2x Blood clots in leg, 1 blood clot in Arm, 2x Appendicitis, Pulmonary Embolism, Brain Tumor, Internal Bleeding, Ebola.

Offline Jazeraca

• Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
Re: Please dont read this if you are worried about Ebola
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 04:03:22 PM »
It's also theoretically possible that you will become an overnight billionaire, or the most famous person in the world ever, or fly to the moon. Don't think about what is possible, but what is probable. If you go to a Western African country and touch a bunch of Ebola patients without protective gear, then yes, the probability is there. Not from random food.
Bookmark and Share
Dx: GAD, DESNOS, Fibro and other physical issues. Nothing serious, but of course my anxious mind will often find something very serious as with other things in my life. Anxiety is a fraud. Anxiety is not YOU or ME, it is an illness.

Offline Raaawr

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 04:29:54 PM »
It's also theoretically possible that you will become an overnight billionaire, or the most famous person in the world ever, or fly to the moon. Don't think about what is possible, but what is probable. If you go to a Western African country and touch a bunch of Ebola patients without protective gear, then yes, the probability is there. Not from random food.

I dunno I did buy a lotto ticket. Plus if I was to die of Ebola contracted from a vegetable after winning the lotto I would be pretty famous. Then in my will I would want my newly acquired fortune to be used to launch me to the moon.

Still I am really quite worried and there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. This sucks serious ass.

I have tried doing more research but the consideration that Ebola could be spread through food is not being reported by any reputable source. I did find a few posts on some forum talking about how America should ban all food imports but they also reckoned America should Nuke Africa to stop Ebola so...
Bookmark and Share
Brain Tumor, 5x Heart Attacks, 2x Blood clots in leg, 1 blood clot in Arm, 2x Appendicitis, Pulmonary Embolism, Brain Tumor, Internal Bleeding, Ebola.

Offline cardinal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 07:43:16 AM »
Hi Raaawr,
There are no cases Ebola in Zimbabwe, so you are safe.
Bookmark and Share

Offline Sunlover

• Rec's: 18
  • Mood: Lazy
    Lazy
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:18:16 AM »
No one with Ebola would be strong enough to be in the fields picking beans for hours...   nor would they be strong enough to be in packing plants on their feet for hours - there's no Ebola on the food...
Bookmark and Share

Offline Rob783

• Rec's: 1
  • Mood: Calm
    Calm
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 08:19:18 AM »
Aren't foods outside the US decontaminated before they enter?  They don't want outside bugs getting in to wreak havoc on the agriculture.
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 31
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2014, 11:18:32 AM »
Let's put some perspective on this.

What you're saying would be like me saying I ate some fruit from Jamaica and I got stoned.

See what I mean? But then again..... that would actually be pretty cool!  :spineyes:

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Offline Raaawr

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2014, 11:52:42 AM »
Hi Raaawr,

Not yet! But it takes up to a week for symptoms to come ha!

Yeah I know its all a bit silly but sure thats how it all works isnt it.
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 06:56:48 PM »
Anxiety is a disease of misunderstanding probability. Could it happen? Sure. Will it happen? Unlikely. Is it important that you fret over it? Nope. Take a look at this sentence and tell me if you think it's ridiculous: A person from Africa bled on my beans and now I've contracted hemorragic fever, but I have to wait a week before I develop fatal symptoms from fever-beans. 
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline Raaawr

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 07:04:47 PM »
Anxiety is a disease of misunderstanding probability. Could it happen? Sure. Will it happen? Unlikely. Is it important that you fret over it? Nope. Take a look at this sentence and tell me if you think it's ridiculous: A person from Africa bled on my beans and now I've contracted hemorragic fever, but I have to wait a week before I develop fatal symptoms from fever-beans.
It all sounded legitimate until you said fever-beans. Just cause it has a silly name doesnt make less scary!
Bookmark and Share

Offline thenomnomnomicon

• Rec's: 10
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 07:13:21 PM »
I gave it a silly name because it is entirely improbable. How many reports have you heard about the transmission of a viral disease cross-continent through a can of beans. Or any food product. If diseases were all so ingenius then you should add rabies, bird-flu, and the rest to your list. Who knows, a bat may have sh*t in your ketchup.
Bookmark and Share
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh

Offline cardinal

• Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 07:24:17 PM »
Hi Raaawr,

But the theoretical Zimbabwean bean-packer would have had to be exhibiting symptoms when handling your produce (presumably during the first day or two of illness before the Ebola became debilitating) and would be critically ill or dead by now due to the rapid progression of the disease, meaning that it would be all over the world news that the disease has now spread to Zimbabwe. (And, by the way, what are the chances of the first-ever Ebola victim in Zimbabwe being the same person who handled your beans?!) So even in our HA world, you are SAFE!!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Raaawr

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 08:20:44 PM »
I gave it a silly name because it is entirely improbable. How many reports have you heard about the transmission of a viral disease cross-continent through a can of beans. Or any food product. If diseases were all so ingenius then you should add rabies, bird-flu, and the rest to your list. Who knows, a bat may have sh*t in your ketchup.

Jokes on you! I dont eat ketchup!

I know it is highly improbable but that wont stop me worrying about it. By the same logic I could also have contracted HIV form the beans as the person could have had HIV as well!
Bookmark and Share

Offline Raaawr

Worried
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 08:22:35 PM »
Hi Raaawr,

But the theoretical Zimbabwean bean-packer would have had to be exhibiting symptoms when handling your produce (presumably during the first day or two of illness before the Ebola became debilitating) and would be critically ill or dead by now due to the rapid progression of the disease, meaning that it would be all over the world news that the disease has now spread to Zimbabwe. (And, by the way, what are the chances of the first-ever Ebola victim in Zimbabwe being the same person who handled your beans?!) So even in our HA world, you are SAFE!!

Add to the fact that Ebola has never once been contracted by a human outside of Africa in its entire existence and you have a very small chance I know. But Im still a little worried. Its not overpowering "Oh crap I am going to die" worry but its more "What if I do have ebola and I give it to my girlfriend, oh crap".
Bookmark and Share

Offline fishmanpa

• Rec's: 31
  • Personal text
    • Poke This Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2014, 09:02:38 PM »

Jokes on you! I dont eat ketchup!

I know it is highly improbable but that wont stop me worrying about it. By the same logic I could also have contracted HIV form the beans as the person could have had HIV as well!

With all due respect... An awful lot of very logical and reasonable replies have been posted to no avail. You counter every one as to why you feel it isn't probable. What is the point of seeking reassurance if you won't accept it nor even consider it?

Positive thoughts
Bookmark and Share
"Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings in your life. Live. Love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest doesn't matter!."  King Solomon.

Tags: